increase the block list maximum to 2048

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
normw2
increase the block list maximum to 2048

Post by normw2 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:54 pm

June 2021 ooma block list update.

I would like to see ooma increase the block list maximum to 2048.

I have now reach 1024 on my block list. The list is 45 pages long.
And I get a warning my block is full, you must delete some to add any new numbers.

It took just over 5 years to get there(started ooma May 9 2016).
I had posted a reply to Allow blacklisting via Called ID .
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23768&p=148073&sid= ... 80#p148073
i suggest reading that post first, for background.
Having read the forums on call blocking, ooma is suppose to update nomorobo once a week, on Mondays.
It has been my experience, if I get a spam call on Tues, and don't block it immediately, they will many times call again, later that week.
Yes, I'm aware many of the spammers change the spoofed number constantly. if not every call.
If you call me and hang up, I'm going to block you. Period.
I'm going to make it as difficult as possible, driving the spammers cost up.
To do nothing is unacceptable.
If just 10 percent of ooma users were to aggressively block spam numbers.
we would all benefit from it.
I'm uploading just few pages of my black list, started from my Verizon days of twisted pair copper, Nov 4, 2014.
If ooma or nomorobo wants the full lis of 45 pages, you have my number.
Norm
Attachments
ooma block list 1024 June 18 2021.pdf
(13.58KiB)Downloaded 625 times
Aug 1 2016 ooma block list.pdf
(22.87KiB)Downloaded 608 times

Robek

Re: increase the block list maximum to 2048

Post by Robek » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:57 pm

Wait for spammers to repeat the same number at least once before blocking it. Filling up a block list with numbers that spammers aren't using anymore won't drive their costs up at all, but it will, at the very least, create unnecessary work for the Ooma servers. And if a thousand rules aren't blocking any calls, then adding a thousand more won't help. In many cases, blocking generic names (such as cities, states, bulk autodialers, and numbers) can be more effective than blocking specific numbers.

Ooma known spammer call blocking already leverages blocking rules from its user community. Nomorobo relies on multiple strategies for managing its lists, and while it does accept user reported numbers, it's up to the users themselves to report them. For some forms of spoofing, (such as "neighbor spoofing"), spammers use different numbers for different areas, so sharing blocking rules for those numbers doesn't necessarily help other users.

Spammers often spoof with legitimate numbers, belonging to otherwise innocent people or organizations. Aggressively blocking these numbers just creates a lot of false positives, which doesn't benefit anybody. Recent legislation is supposed to reduce this type of spoofing, by requiring some form of Caller ID authentication and robocall mitigation at the source. In the meantime, Ooma and Nomorobo can try to filter out false positives, but users may still have to temporarily disable Nomorobo when expecting a call from a new number, until they can whitelist the number.
Last edited by Robek on Thu May 04, 2023 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

normw2

Post by normw2 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:29 pm

Dear Robert,
Thank you for taking the time to make an intelligent argument for not aggressively blocking spammers.
And no, I'm not being sarcastic.
I see your point about false positives not being helpful.
And increasing the block list totals probably won't work, either.
Prior to blocking a number, I do search for a name or business associated with that number.
There are several websites (like nomorobo) that post recent complaints about hangups, spammers, etc.
If I see the number on one of those sites, it means others are getting the same call, so it gets blocked.
I will will take your advise and wait for the second spam call, if it does not show up on web search.

I have tried using "block by name", to no avail. I use the parameter of "contains".
The calls with a city name and state still get through.
With my lists, I have found it not uncommon for a specific number to show up with different CID names.

Again, thank you for taking the time to consider my issue.
normw
p.s.
I have noticed in the last few weeks, spam calls are down as a whole, both with my ooma home number, my cell phone carrier, and android(google) spam detection.
I'm hoping it's because "we" are getting better at detecting spam calls, and not just a temporary reprieve of covid-19 shutting down call centers.

Robek

Post by Robek » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:57 am

Thanks for the feedback. But be careful not to rely too heavily on websites that just post unvetted, unfiltered, (or outdated) self-reported complaints. For example, I know that the number my credit card company callbot uses for two-factor authentication is legitimate, (as is the callback number it leaves in a voicemail after multiple failed attempts to reach a live human). But when I run these numbers through my favorite search engine, I find plenty of websites loaded with user comments running the gamut. Some confirm that the numbers are good, while too many fervently insist that it's just spammers and phishers, and that anyone who suggests otherwise must be part of the scam.

One person even bragged about calling the credit card company back, refusing to answer any questions to verify his identity, and then blowing a whistle into the phone before hanging up. He may have meant well, but that's why I have to clutter up my Contacts list, and route blocked calls to voicemail.
normw2 wrote:With my lists, I have found it not uncommon for a specific number to show up with different CID names.
The sending carrier provides the Caller ID number, but the receiving carrier is responsible for using the number to look up the Caller ID name. Different carriers can use different databases. Some databases may provide old/inaccurate names, and some carriers may cache names they've looked up before, rather than pay a fee to look them up again. And some carriers may skip the lookup altogether, and just provide a generic "City, State", based on the area code and number.
normw2 wrote:I have tried using "block by name", to no avail.
One common pitfall when matching Caller ID names is that multiple spaces between words are significant. Browsers don't preserve spacing, so use the "view page source" command (usually <ctrl>-u or <cmd>-u), or else export the call logs to a file, to see them all. Ooma describes how to handle "City, State" names, but they could also take further steps to normalize any spacing/punctuation in the names, to make matching easier.

normw2

Post by normw2 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:41 am

ooma call log update sept 15 2021
Dear Robek,
Thank you for your information on everyone's spam problem.
Attached is my ooma call log for the last 2 weeks. The spam calls are typical for any 2 week period.
I will try the name blocking of city only, using "contains".
Note: I have blacked out personal calls on my call log.
You can see the average behavior of spam calls, names not withstanding, which is why I was so aggressive in blocking.
Thank you again for taking an interest in the ongoing spam problem.
norm
Attachments
ooma call log update sept 15.pdf
(97.5KiB)Downloaded 483 times

Robek

Post by Robek » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:29 pm

For spammers that cycle through a range of numbers, another option is to create block-by-number entries that specify "Numbers that start with ...", and then providing only as many digits as needed, to match the desired range of numbers. This is also useful for "neighbor spoofing", where the Caller ID number has the same area code and exchange code as the number being called, or even for blocking entire area codes. One single entry can block a wide range of numbers, so use this option carefully.

alanmalk

Post by alanmalk » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:45 am

If I could add a suggestion...

"
I have tried using "block by name", to no avail. I use the parameter of "contains".
"

I was unsuccessful at blocking generic City name callers until I set the parameter to "starts with".
Helped me a lot.