Access the hub through the WAN port

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
daet
Re: Access the hub through the WAN port

Post by daet » Thu May 07, 2009 2:25 am

bc3tech wrote:i'd like somebody to clarify what LAN and WAN map to as far as the ports on the back of the hub - because to me (WAN = "modem") they've been mixed up in the post above the directs a user how to do this.
I scanned the posts, and couldn't find any mix-up in them; nonetheless, here's how I define the WAN and LAN ports (which is exactly the same as your definition - I suspect).

In the "traditional" Ooma setup (modem---Ooma---router):

The WAN interface is the Ooma port that connects to your cable/dsl modem. The LAN interface is the Ooma port that connects to your router (or whatever else).

In the setup being described in the posts above, the Ooma isn't connected directly to the modem; rather, it is connected to the router, which is connected to the modem. In this setup, the Ooma's WAN interface is connected to the router (it is the physically the same port that would be connected to the modem).

To paint a complete picture, what we term as "routers", really are NAT/routers, which in addition to NAT, also route to what are traditionally non-routable/closed/private networks (eg. 192.168.0.0/16).

DG
Ooma customer since April 2009
Ooma equipment: Hub ; Telo + 4 handsets
Ooma service: Annual Premier subscription

bc3tech

Post by bc3tech » Thu May 07, 2009 4:49 am

daet wrote:
bc3tech wrote:i'd like somebody to clarify what LAN and WAN map to as far as the ports on the back of the hub - because to me (WAN = "modem") they've been mixed up in the post above the directs a user how to do this.
I scanned the posts, and couldn't find any mix-up in them; nonetheless, here's how I define the WAN and LAN ports (which is exactly the same as your definition - I suspect).

In the "traditional" Ooma setup (modem---Ooma---router):

The WAN interface is the Ooma port that connects to your cable/dsl modem. The LAN interface is the Ooma port that connects to your router (or whatever else).

In the setup being described in the posts above, the Ooma isn't connected directly to the modem; rather, it is connected to the router, which is connected to the modem. In this setup, the Ooma's WAN interface is connected to the router (it is the physically the same port that would be connected to the modem).

To paint a complete picture, what we term as "routers", really are NAT/routers, which in addition to NAT, also route to what are traditionally non-routable/closed/private networks (eg. 192.168.0.0/16).

DG
hm - i haven't had the time to go thru your instructions in entirety, just found it odd that the WAN IP you stated is an private address (192.168.*.*) and the LAN IP appears not to be. but i'll give 'em a shot here soon and see if it all works

daet

Post by daet » Thu May 07, 2009 4:22 pm

bc3tech wrote: hm - i haven't had the time to go thru your instructions in entirety, just found it odd that the WAN IP you stated is an private address (192.168.*.*) and the LAN IP appears not to be. but i'll give 'em a shot here soon and see if it all works
It's because the Ooma is behind the router (and the routers that most of use are really NAT/routers). So naturally, the WAN interface of the Ooma gets a private/non-routable address.

DG
Ooma customer since April 2009
Ooma equipment: Hub ; Telo + 4 handsets
Ooma service: Annual Premier subscription

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Thu May 07, 2009 6:03 pm

bc3tech wrote:
daet wrote: hm - i haven't had the time to go thru your instructions in entirety, just found it odd that the WAN IP you stated is an private address (192.168.*.*) and the LAN IP appears not to be. but i'll give 'em a shot here soon and see if it all works
PLEASE if your Ooma hub is connected to your DSL, cable or whatever modem, DO NOT use the guide in this thread.

This thread is exclusively for those whose hub is behind a NAT router or firewall.

If you aren't certain about the instructions, or don't understand them, DO NOT set the DMZ on your Ooma hub.

WARNING: Setting 172.27.35.1 as the DMZ on your Ooma hub COULD CREATE A HORRIFIC SECURITY RISK FOR YOU!

markan

Post by markan » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:28 am

Pandora wrote:
bc3tech wrote:
daet wrote: hm - i haven't had the time to go thru your instructions in entirety, just found it odd that the WAN IP you stated is an private address (192.168.*.*) and the LAN IP appears not to be. but i'll give 'em a shot here soon and see if it all works
PLEASE if your Ooma hub is connected to your DSL, cable or whatever modem, DO NOT use the guide in this thread.

This thread is exclusively for those whose hub is behind a NAT router or firewall.

If you aren't certain about the instructions, or don't understand them, DO NOT set the DMZ on your Ooma hub.

WARNING: Setting 172.27.35.1 as the DMZ on your Ooma hub COULD CREATE A HORRIFIC SECURITY RISK FOR YOU!
Your warning is wrong. Nothing will happen if their Ooma hub is connected directly to the internet with the DMZ set to the Ooma IP. First of all, most people connect a router with its own firewall to the Ooma hub. Secondly, the DMZ will force all requests from the internet to go directly to the Ooma. Meaning that no one would get further than the Ooma. The "worst" thing anyone could do is change the network settings on your Ooma. If you have a router connected to the Ooma with it's own firewall, you'll be just fine. There is no reason to scare people. I personally put my Ooma behind my router because of the horrible qos on the Ooma. The ONLY way this could be a security risk is if you plug your computer directly into the Ooma and then a hacker logs into the Ooma, sets port forwarding to your computers IP and then attacks your computer. A very unlikely setup to have and a very unlikely scenario for an attack. Bottom line, if you have a router that's configured correctly, you can do as you please with the Ooma hub.

farmdwg

Post by farmdwg » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:01 pm

I have a follow-up question to this thread as I still cannot get into the config screen from the WAN port. My config is as follows.

cable_mode -> dd-wrt_router -> ooma (WAN port)

My local IP scheme: 192.168.50.x
Ooma: 192.168.50.3 (static that I set)

I've tried going into the setup screen and defining 172.27.35.1 on the DMZ port, but no joy. I do not have anything plugged into the Ooma LAN port.

Thoughts?

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:20 am

Delete the entry from the Ooma DMZ.
Create a port forwarding rule to forward port 80 to 172.27.35.1.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:55 am

Murphy, sorry OT - but no PM'ing to you. You have any thoughts on port triggering & other methods on routers that have issues allowing ooma app to open up ports through wifi? viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8389&start=10#p59302

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:17 am

lbmofo wrote:Murphy, sorry OT - but no PM'ing to you. You have any thoughts on port triggering & other methods on routers that have issues allowing ooma app to open up ports through wifi? viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8389&start=10#p59302
Answered in the thread you specified.
PM is missing because of negative experiences in other forums.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

farmdwg

Post by farmdwg » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:01 am

murphy wrote:Delete the entry from the Ooma DMZ.
Create a port forwarding rule to forward port 80 to 172.27.35.1.
No joy here. Removed the DMZ entry and created the port forwarding.

I've tried both http://192.168.50.1 and http://172.27.35.1