ALERT: Ooma changing taxes on ALL grandfathered use

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
stisev
ALERT: Ooma changing taxes on ALL grandfathered use

Post by stisev » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:47 am

Really sucks. My tax structure went from $11 > $41.64a year. Isn't it interesting they JUST notified me before my rate increase. They probably are scattering these emails to prevent a shitstorm from SDers and other Ooma users alike.
It is our mission here at Ooma to save you lots of money every month by providing you free home phone service. As you know, your only obligation is to pay applicable taxes and fees. This notice is to alert you of a change in the taxes and fees Ooma charges starting Jun 19, 2011.

Why does Ooma charge taxes and fees?
Telecommunications is a highly regulated industry and subject to laws, regulations and taxation at the city, county, state and federal levels. Ooma is required to pay taxes and fees so we can operate within and comply with laws and regulations mandated by the government. Where permitted, we pass those taxes and fees on to customers through line item charges.

What taxes and fees does Ooma currently charge?
Since April 2010, Ooma has charged its new customers fees of $3.47 per month exclusive of any additional state and local taxes, fees, or surcharges. These fees are split into the following categories:

Regulatory Compliance Fee - $1.59
911 Service Fee - $1.59
Federal Universal Service Charge - $0.29

In addition, Ooma charges state and local taxes, fees and surcharges where applicable. These are location-specific and can be determined by visiting http://www.ooma.com/taxes and entering your zip code.

How are my fees changing?
As a customer who purchased Ooma approximately two years ago, you have paid reduced fees of $11.75 per year. Per our standard terms and conditions, these fees are subject to change and beginning Jun 19, 2011, your fees will change to $3.47 per month.

Are there any special offers to offset this increase in fees?
Yes! Purchase an annual subscription to Ooma Premier within 30 days and not only will you get your choice of a free gift, you’ll also get 3 months of Premier free – a total value of up to $90! Ooma Premier is packed with advanced calling features you won’t want to live without, like the Instant Second Line™, Multi-Ring, Voicemail Forwarding, 911 Notifications, Blacklists and much more. Click here to take advantage of this special offer.

For more information on taxes and fees, please see the Taxes and Fees FAQ. Or call us, free of course, at 1-888-711-6662, weekdays 7am-7pm PDT and weekends 8am-5pm PDT.

Thank you for your continued support.

Sincerely,
Ooma Customer Support
What crap. 3 months of Ooma Premier and AND opportunity to spend even more money? At least give us a better offer. -_-
My box says $11.75 a year for 2nd year and beyond (I have one of the earlier models) but they did say it is "subject to change" just in case.

lbmofo

Re: ALERT: Ooma changing taxes on ALL grandfathered use

Post by lbmofo » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:21 pm

stisev wrote:They probably are scattering these emails to prevent a shitstorm from SDers and other Ooma users alike.
My guess is that your year is up right? Everyone who was/is on the $11.75/yr RRF has different anniversary dates so my logic says this email is sent right before the paid year is up.
stisev wrote:My box says $11.75 a year for 2nd year and beyond (I have one of the earlier models) but they did say it is "subject to change" just in case.
Yes, the key word is "subject to change."

stisev

Post by stisev » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:09 pm

EDIT: My ooma renews on 2010-07-26. This is going to be my 3rd year with Ooma. I think past the 2nd year, they are changing the conditions to increase the taxes

roadshow

Post by roadshow » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:53 am

I am a Core user (no taxes). I wonder if they are going to ask us to start paying the taxes and fees too?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:11 am

roadshow wrote:I am a Core user (no taxes). I wonder if they are going to ask us to start paying the taxes and fees too?
Highly doubtful on that one.

FYI: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7842&start=10#p55256

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:41 am

I don't like this, but I understand. I don't carry a credit card balance and would hate to see a 3 something dollar reoccurring charge. If they must raise the fee rate, I hope they still have the option to pay a year at a time.

dcandmc

Post by dcandmc » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:22 am

Yup, I just discovered that my taxes will change from $11.75/year to $3.47/month starting next June (2012). I'm not happy. I understand that as per the terms and conditions, this stuff is subject to change, but it still feels like a bait and switch. For me, one of the selling points of Ooma was the low tax amount, and the convenience of paying that low amount once a year. I'm also upset that I learned about this change only by logging into my Ooma account, which I hardly ever use. Ooma should be making notification by email. They have my current email address on file.

Ooma, you messed this one up.

southsound

Post by southsound » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:40 am

dcandmc wrote:I'm not happy. I understand that as per the terms and conditions, this stuff is subject to change, but it still feels like a bait and switch.
It's not just ooma either! Years ago I started to really enjoy Yuban coffee. I got hooked when I could buy a 36 oz can for about $4. Then they made the cans smaller - 33 oz - but there was never a label, "New smaller size for your convenience!". And the price stayed the same. A year or so later, it was a deal to buy it on sale for $4.99. Then $5.99 looked pretty good. I went to replenish my supply last week. We keep about a dozen cans in our pantry so we don't run out. Yea, I know, some might say I'm addicted to the stuff but I can quit anytime I want to. (Note that I do go to 12-step meetings where we also have Yuban coffee.) The new regular price for this downsized can: $13.99! I want my 36 oz cans of Yuban for $4 back again! :shock:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

daytong

Post by daytong » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:47 am

In fact, the regulatory fees and taxes have not changed. Ooma's policy to pass these to the consumer has changed. So when "subject to change" is used are they referring to the tax and fee amount or Ooma policy?
Can they spell "class action"?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:06 am

daytong wrote:Can they spell "class action"?
"Subject to change" is pretty precise; it means change may happen to the $11.75/yr amount.