Porting phone# process loss(temporary I hope)of incomingcall

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
corbinzak
Porting phone# process loss(temporary I hope)of incomingcall

Post by corbinzak » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:35 pm

I received an email that the porting process was expected to be completed on August 8. That part was fine. However I noticed after the porting department was closed on Friday after 4:30 PST that anybody calling my phone number (the number that I am porting) would get the message no routes found or number not allocated. I have no problems making phone calls. This is unacceptable that tech support can do nothing to help until Monday when the porting department opens for me not to be able to receive any calls until Monday. This might even turn some people away from recommending the device to others because of the poor process. The porting department should be open at least on an oncall basis on weekends or give weekend techs ability to resolve issues that occur on Friday evening or weekends.
Last edited by corbinzak on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: Porting phone# process loss(temporary I hope)of incomingcall

Post by Bobby B » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:50 am

I agree, you shouldn't be experiencing weekend downtime waiting for a port to complete. I'll check into this for you to see what happened.

-Bobby
Bobby B

trim81

Post by trim81 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:09 am

can you please report back to the thread the outcome of your problem?

I am awaiting my port to complete...and I hope there are no issues...

corbinzak

Post by corbinzak » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:21 am

First I would like to thank the Ooma team for fixing the incoming call issue.

I have ported my number many times before. I started off with Verizon then MCI (before they merged), Vonage then lingo (which they lost my number 2X which luckily I was able to cancel and I stayed with Vonage) then Sunrocket, Packet8 and finally Ooma. There was always a period of time (usually 1 to 2 hours) when I had no incoming service the day the porting was to be completed. I had lost incoming calls from Friday evening until Monday 8:00PM EST which is longer than it should be. Ooma should do any of the following things to improve the process so that that porting process can improve

1. Have staff (on hand or oncall) that can fix telco call routing issues on Saturday for those porting phone numbers that finalize on Friday (the same info that was emailed about completion date to me that can be used to plan staffing requirements.).
2. Not have porting requests complete on Friday.

Roy C
Ooma Moderator

Post by Roy C » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:32 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I manage the Dept that handles porting for ooma and can assure you we try to minimize the number of port completions that take place on Fridays to avoid weekend downtime. However, because the process takes 3 weeks to complete, we also try not to push out the due date any further.

The other thing we do to avoid downtime is issue anyone porting a temporary DID. That way during the cut-over date on the port, you are still able to make & receive calls via your ooma hub.

We continue to work on improving our processes, so we will definitely take your suggestions into consideration to minimize any customer down time and frustration.

Thanks for your patience.

corbinzak

Post by corbinzak » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:09 pm

The issue about not receiving incoming calls was related to the number being ported not the number given by Ooma. In the signup process as I stated in an earlier post if someone is porting they are issued the same number by ooma making their ooma inoperable until they call tech support (unless ooma changed the signup process) which is then assigned a temporary number so that the ooma system can work. Porting a phone number to another phone company has always (with 1 exception from sunrocket to Packet 8 due to Sunrocket going out of business took only a week) took about 3 weeks to complete. Also who said about delaying the process you could try and rush those Friday porting request to terminate on Thursday :). Thanks for the attention to this matter.