Ability to add <pause> and <#> in Address Book entries

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
nwoodsfin
Ability to add <pause> and <#> in Address Book entries

Post by nwoodsfin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:21 am

As soon as I got my Telo handset, I started populating the address book so that I could use speed dial. I couldn't figure out how to insert a <pause> when dialing a number that answers and then prompts for an additional code. Examples of this would be dialing into conference call where you are prompted for a passcode, or a calling card account where you dial a general access number and are then prompted to enter your account number followed by a "#" sign.

I scoured the online 'how to' documentation for how to do this and then called Ooma Customer Service. Apparently, there is no way to do this. I am very surprised as I haven't purchased a phone since the 90's that lacked this capability. Furthermore, stored numbers are limited to a maximum of 16 digits- not adequate for the uses I mentioned above.

It will be a major bummer if I have to manually enter twenty-something digits every time I need to make one of these calls. Especially since I get on conference calls 6-8 times per day. The Ooma rep told me to just hit <Redial> but I think we all know that's not going to work.

As an alternative (I saw this suggestion in another thread), give me an Address Book on myOoma where I could enter <pause>, <#>, etc. and allow the maximum number of digits to be 30 (give or take). Then, allow me to initiate the call from the myOoma web-page to my home Ooma line.

I hate to compain but this is really "Home-office 101" type stuff and without features such as this, Ooma seems to be in the game for residential customers while the virtual home office is quickly becoming typical. :shock:

bobd

Re: Ability to add <pause> and <#> in Address Book entries

Post by bobd » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:46 pm

Wow, I can't believe this is STILL a missing feature.

Couldn't this be inplemented fairly quickly and easily?

How does a feature request get logged?

Any work arounds?

Thanks.

southbank

Post by southbank » Wed May 08, 2013 8:11 am

Here's an update to this issue.

There is no update. I just; did an online support chat and there is no pause function nor were they any encouraging words for the future.

I am a 30 day OOMA user and have been pretty happy until I set up my business line today and found this got'cha.

FYI only.

Southbank

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed May 08, 2013 9:19 am

For this functionality, need to use regular handsets available in the market (use and dial into conference etc).

nwoodsfin

Post by nwoodsfin » Wed May 08, 2013 11:40 am

I bought a 21st century wireless handset last year for about $30 that allows up to 30 digits and allows <pause> entry- works great .

BTW, my dog loves chewing on the old Telo handset because it makes funny noises when he shakes it. You rock, Ooma!

Reply if you've found other creative uses for your ($100) Telo handset.

mattquinlan

Post by mattquinlan » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:54 pm

Crap. I just left Vonage for Ooma because they have been promising for SEVEN YEARS to implement a personal blacklist feature (something that seems so absolutely BASIC for a VOIP provider). Everything with Ooma has been awesome... until I read this post. C'mon Ooma, PLEASE let us dial more than 18 digits and PLEASE let us insert pauses..... conference bridges take 10-digit dialing + pauses + 9 digits passcodes + #.

cbwrites

Post by cbwrites » Thu May 05, 2016 7:54 am

It's been 3 years since this was originally posted, and yet...nothing. SERIOUSLY, Ooma??? If your "resolution" to this question is to buy a Panasonic handset, why in the name of all that's decent did you push me to buy those useless handsets of yours? What an obscene waste of money they've been. I love your service in general, and even though this pretty basic feature (PAUSE) is mind-numbingly unavailable in the year 2016, I would still begrudgingly recommend Ooma to others. But you need to realize that from a business perspective, this is freakishly embarrassing for you. So I guess I'll just trash my three Ooma phones and go buy some Panasonics, because the PAUSE feature has become a necessity for me now.

As evidenced by the high quality of your other services and features, you should be a bit ashamed of this, because I'm sure you could do better if you wanted to.

bilts

Post by bilts » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:59 am

+1. I'd love to use my HD2 as an additional line tied to my google voice account for business. The lack of ability to add conference lines and extensions in the address book is a deal-breaker that keeps me tied to my Panasonic phones.

At least in my case, this is costing Ooma some amount of business, as I will not be purchasing the additional line required to make this setup work until I know I can rely on the HD2 for this purpose.

tis_himself

Post by tis_himself » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:13 am

Sounds like a scam. You buy the handsets, then you can't send a pause. So then they get you to buy a link so you can use a device that has it. BTW. It's not the just handset that's the problem. It's that you cannot enter the pause into the phone number field in contact.

I want to use the echo to tell ooma to dial my conference bridge, pause, then enter the conference code. I can't do this unless the contact phone number field accepts and stores a pause character.

So having a Panasonic device would do me no good anyway. Please fix this very basic feature. At least let us enter a pause character that some other device will understand.

jctcom

Post by jctcom » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:14 am

This is a pretty old post with plenty of requests. Ooma has this still not been implemented? Seems like a minor programming job.

The simple ability to add an extension like any other phone by adding a couple of ,, (Commas) does not even work!
Carl