Computer Dialing

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
jeremyjava
Computer Dialing

Post by jeremyjava » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:39 pm

I was able to dial out on my computer 15 or 20 years ago... why can't this (I would think) very simple option be made available. Or is it and the tech support person I spoke with didn't know about it?

I'm making many calls during the day lately and it would be very helpful to highlight and dial from my computer.

Please let me know if this is possible and if not... if it can be. SOON!

Thanks,

J

thunderbird

Re: Computer Dialing

Post by thunderbird » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:27 pm

jeremyjava wrote:I was able to dial out on my computer 15 or 20 years ago... why can't this (I would think) very simple option be made available. Or is it and the tech support person I spoke with didn't know about it?

I'm making many calls during the day lately and it would be very helpful to highlight and dial from my computer.

Please let me know if this is possible and if not... if it can be. SOON!

Thanks,

J
Veiw the follow sites:
http://www.worldstart.com/let-your-comp ... e-dialing/
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/phone- ... 72352.html
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlo ... aspx?CTT=3

It appears that your computer that you are going to use must have a functioning dialup Modem. Then find your Dialer program located in your computer. Go to Start > Run and type: Dialer.exe , and hit enter. You need to setup the Dialer program, if not setup already. You can use the help menu in your computer, by clicking on the Start bar, then Help. The Dialup modem has to be connected to the Ooma Telo phone port. Also a phone or headset needs to be connected to the Ooma Telo phone port. Use phone line splitter(s) to connect all of the phone lines together. I don't have a dialup Modem installed in my computer, or I would test and give better instructions.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:44 pm

Ooma currently does not provide click dialing but you have many options out there.

For example, you can use Google Voice https://www.google.com/voice

Click dial calls your phone first and then connects to whomever you want.

jeremyjava

Re: Computer Dialing (and new faxing question)

Post by jeremyjava » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:15 am

Hi guys,

SO follow-up questions:
- If I get a dialup modem, I could feed that into my phone, along with the cord from my ooma phone... a 2 into 1 adapter, and dial up using either my handset OR my phone keypad? If so, I'll look for a dial-up modem on ebay or amazon, newegg, etc
- If I use Google Voice (I'm on google, just haven't used G-Voice, since I'm already getting free calls on ooma), then am I using a headset hooked up to my computer, or do I feed my computer into my phone somehow?

Lastly, to clarify, my computer isn't 15-20 years old... it's a new i5, I was just making reference to how this was an easy thing to do well over a decade ago, so it seems bizarre it's not so easy now, and that Ooma hasn't made this one of the most basic features. My only gripe thus far... though I haven't tried faxing - used to have problems with that on Vonage. People finding that easy on Ooma?

Thanks everyone!

Jeremy

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:15 pm

jeremyjava wrote:Hi guys,

SO follow-up questions:
- If I get a dialup modem, I could feed that into my phone, along with the cord from my ooma phone... a 2 into 1 adapter, and dial up using either my handset OR my phone keypad? If so, I'll look for a dial-up modem on ebay or amazon, newegg, etc
- If I use Google Voice (I'm on google, just haven't used G-Voice, since I'm already getting free calls on ooma), then am I using a headset hooked up to my computer, or do I feed my computer into my phone somehow?

Lastly, to clarify, my computer isn't 15-20 years old... it's a new i5, I was just making reference to how this was an easy thing to do well over a decade ago, so it seems bizarre it's not so easy now, and that Ooma hasn't made this one of the most basic features. My only gripe thus far... though I haven't tried faxing - used to have problems with that on Vonage. People finding that easy on Ooma?

Thanks everyone!

Jeremy
Make sure that you can find Dialer.exe in your operating system.

A caution: Some people have complained that sometimes a dialup modem doesn't work with Ooma. Others have said that it works fine.

I, like you used to use the Microsoft Dialer.exe program to dial calls from my work computer. Sorry but I don't remember all of the details.

rmeden

Post by rmeden » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:54 am

thunderbird wrote: A caution: Some people have complained that sometimes a dialup modem doesn't work with Ooma. Others have said that it works fine.
People have problems using the modem as a modem (like a fax). It should act as a phone dialer for voice calls w/o any problem.

Robert

jectos

Post by jectos » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:40 pm

Seems like it would be much easier to create a simple app that would call directly through the internet using my Ooma account. It seems ridiculous to require the use of an old fashioned modem to do this.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:34 am

jectos wrote:Seems like it would be much easier to create a simple app that would call directly through the internet using my Ooma account. It seems ridiculous to require the use of an old fashioned modem to do this.
Ooma is just thinking "do I want to provide that service and why?"

frankcutronijr

Post by frankcutronijr » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:43 pm

Connect an external dialer to a laptop with a two jack RJ11 connector one connected to the external dialer and the other to a regular wired phone then you can use a dialer it won't work with Ooma phone which is connected wirelessly to the Ooma base.