Problem Connecting to Toll Free Numbers

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Canadian Tech
Re: Problem Connecting to Toll Free Numbers

Post by Canadian Tech » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:15 pm

Send a customer care request for each and every 1-8xx number that you have a problem with. They will make individual fixes, or try to find an alternative number that does work. I am told the problem source is the carrier itself. Not sure exactly what that means. This is an interesting conundrum because the purpose of 1-8xx is to help customers avoid a long distance call, and Ooma essentially means long distance costs nothing. So, a non-1-8xx number, if there is one, is just as good for Ooma users.
Last edited by Canadian Tech on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ooMY_Phone

Post by ooMY_Phone » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:39 pm

I'm seeing this problem also in Northern California, not just a Canadian problem. Please fix.

[Update] My Caller ID Outgoing Block is not turned on (never was). But have noticed that call can go through after you listen to the "Sorry, call can not be reached, call is out of your service area" message and then waiting a few seconds the call will connect. This is an annoyance for me but it is working but needs to be fixed.

Also, I need to dial a "1" before the 8XX number or it will dial my area code and 8XX as the prefix and then the next four numbers i.e. (my area code) 8XX-NNNN. Not a big deal, but I guess I'm too use to my cellular phone which does not require the dialing of the "1".

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:25 pm

ooMY_Phone wrote:I'm seeing this problem also in Northern California, not just a Canadian problem. Please fix.

[Update] My Caller ID Outgoing Block is not turned on (never was). But have noticed that call can go through after you listen to the "Sorry, call can not be reached, call is out of your service area" message and then waiting a few seconds the call will connect. This is an annoyance for me but it is working but needs to be fixed.

Also, I need to dial a "1" before the 8XX number or it will dial my area code and 8XX as the prefix and then the next four numbers i.e. (my area code) 8XX-NNNN. Not a big deal, but I guess I'm too use to my cellular phone which does not require the dialing of the "1".
I don't know if this will help you, but have you gone into My Ooma and turn on ten digit calling, located at https://my.ooma.com/system ?

kibosh

Post by kibosh » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:57 am

I just got my Ooma Telo a couple of days ago. I tried calling Kitchenaid Canada yesterday at 1-800-807-6777 and received a message that I have to be located in Canada to make the call (my temporary number is a 289 area code)

Oddly enough I have no trouble dialing 310-bell which other people have had problems with.

I hope this gets fixed soon.

turbo9

Post by turbo9 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:21 am

I just got my Ooma Telo a couple of days ago. I tried calling Kitchenaid Canada yesterday at 1-800-807-6777 and received a message that I have to be located in Canada to make the call (my temporary number is a 289 area code)
You should try your call several times. My experience (in Ottawa) was that the message could change on calls made only seconds apart. While that is not a great solution, it is more cost effective than staying with Bell.

You should also call Ooma and report the problem as they have a fix on a number by number basis. Again, not great but good for the rest of us that need to call Kitchenaid from Canada. They (Ooma) will likely just tell you to call the not free number since all calls in Canada are no longer long distance. While true, you need to dig up a local number, but this is still better than Bell (although hearing that as the solution rises my blood pressure). I have run into issues where a company does not present a local number (my ISP TekSavvy). Anyway, insist that Ooma fix calling to that number.
Oddly enough I have no trouble dialing 310-bell which other people have had problems with.
Very strange. Ooma product management specifically told me on this forum and via email that this was not supported. Good news for future switchers, but I never plan on calling Bell again.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:32 am

kibosh wrote:I just got my Ooma Telo a couple of days ago. I tried calling Kitchenaid Canada yesterday at 1-800-807-6777 and received a message that I have to be located in Canada to make the call (my temporary number is a 289 area code)

I hope this gets fixed soon.
If you haven't done so already, since you just started with Ooma a couple of days ago, go back into My Ooma and set up your trial period Ooma Premier second phone number (Line 2). Then test call using your second phone number.

kibosh

Post by kibosh » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:53 am

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try again when I get home tonight.

I actually do not have any Bell services, I only tried the number since it was reported as a problem number but I got through on the first attempt.

I just e-mailed support with my details so we will see what they say.

Other than this issue the service seems really good . . . I initiated my port from Rogers yesterday.

Thanks again,

Kibosh

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:23 am

:D 1-800-807-6777 gets me through to Whirlpool Canada just fine, which is the same number for KitchenAid Canada.
kibosh wrote:Oddly enough I have no trouble dialing 310-bell which other people have had problems with.
What the..310 BELL still doesn't work for me. Too funny. Anyway I have a BELL cellphone and *611 is free. You just follow the prompts to other products and you get to who you need to yell at eventually. The (877) 866-8880 number gets me through to BELL on Ooma as well, but that's only good if I have a Bell product that's not my Internet, since when I'm forced to talk to the internet support, they will usually reset my modem which would kill the call anyway. If I were calling about my mobile phone, again I would use *611 on my mobile phone.

Bell TV - Gone for nearly two years now
Bell Telephone - Gone since February 13 of this year
Bell Mobility for me - Work phone, I don't pay
Bell Mobility for my wife - Contract's up in October, good riddance
Bell Internet - Different story. They have their pipes and Roger's has theirs. I'm not in an area where I can get anything else that isn't going to use their pipes, so it's either team A or team B unless I want to deal with a reseller who is also at their mercy. Anything goes wrong with the pipe, guess who suffers. Some cords just can't be severed yet. Too bad Toronto Hydro never got their internet over powerline project off the ground, but their in debt so it doesn't surprise me. Probably wouldn't have been "clean" enough for good VoIP quality anyway. Who knows, maybe BELL and ROGERS persuaded ( $$$ ) the CRTC to kill Hydros plans or put enough road blocks in the way to make it not worth the effort.
Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0

kibosh

Post by kibosh » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:49 pm

LOL . . . I just tried the 1-800 number and it worked this time. I also just tried 310-BELL and it also worked.

Seems this stuff is hit and miss!

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:02 pm

kibosh wrote:LOL . . . I just tried the 1-800 number and it worked this time. I also just tried 310-BELL and it also worked.

Seems this stuff is hit and miss!
Even though the Ooma Moderators don't participate as much as they used to, by adding comments to various forum threads. But I often can see where one or another of the moderators are viewing the various threads. The Ooma moderators are engineers, their main job at Ooma. So a lot of times they will see a problem in the tread, and then from there, put in a fix or correction.
Last edited by thunderbird on Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.