compatability with emergency alert systems

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
zgolfin16
compatability with emergency alert systems

Post by zgolfin16 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:25 am

I recently tried to by a Life Alert system -- "I've fallen and I can't get up" -- for my husband, but discovered that it does not work with VOIP. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? The Life Alert company wasn't helpful at all. :cry:

thunderbird

Re: compatability with emergency alert systems

Post by thunderbird » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:16 am

zgolfin16 wrote:I recently tried to by a Life Alert system -- "I've fallen and I can't get up" -- for my husband, but discovered that it does not work with VOIP. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? The Life Alert company wasn't helpful at all. :cry:
What is the exact name of the company?

Using the company's device, does something connect to a telephone jack?

zgolfin16

Post by zgolfin16 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:41 pm

The company's name is Life Alert. It is configured to be used with a land line only -- it's plugged into the phone and into an electrical outlet.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:21 pm

zgolfin16 wrote:The company's name is Life Alert. It is configured to be used with a land line only -- it's plugged into the phone and into an electrical outlet.
A review for Life Alert is at the following site. http://www.medicalalertadvice.com/life- ... detail.php

Most members of this forum will be hesitant to give advice when it comes to a person’s health, which may be the difference between life or death. It appears from the Life Alert review there is no test that can be run to make sure that the device is working if connected to any phone system, including a VoIP phone system?

rmeden

Post by rmeden » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:14 pm

I won't hesitate.... :)

I don't recommend a VoIP solution for an important modem/fax connection, *especially* a medical or life saving device. My ReplayTV device connects about 25% of the time through Ooma. (which is good enough for that purpose)

For something that important, get a bare-bones POTS (plain old telephone service) line..... my modem line is about $15/mo + $10/mo taxes/fees. It will *ALWAYS* work. (well, almost, but certainly more reliable than a VoIP setup)

Robert

bluechalk

Post by bluechalk » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:22 pm

A quick Google search comes up with several medical alert systems that are specifically designed to work with VoIP phone systems.

Bob859

Post by Bob859 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:39 am

Another option for a person that needs to have a device that can contact 911, is to have a small inactive cell phone attached to a strap around the neck, like Life Alert. Cell phones that are not active have the ability to call 911. One needs to make sure that the battery is charged and that the phone is not limited to an obsolete network such as TDMA or analog. There would be no cost to keep this device usable.

RScottyL

Post by RScottyL » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:44 am

Bob859 wrote:Another option for a person that needs to have a device that can contact 911, is to have a small inactive cell phone attached to a strap around the neck, like Life Alert. Cell phones that are not active have the ability to call 911. One needs to make sure that the battery is charged and that the phone is not limited to an obsolete network such as TDMA or analog. There would be no cost to keep this device usable.
Another thing to look for is that you are getting a strong cell phone signal everywhere in the house.

Don't want to have any "dead areas", as it may cost someone their life!

DTmennis

Post by DTmennis » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:47 pm

I was going to upgrade my base unit give my mother my old one and get a linx so I could stay in contact if she fell I moved her in to take care of her and was told they have not supported that for years. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told to go online and do something I said forget it I would file a class action against them as I thought my mother would be safe if she fell here nothing would happen. :x