Speed Dial

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Javin
Speed Dial

Post by Javin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:30 pm

I'd love to see speed dial as a feature. I'd see it as working like this:

Via the My Ooma site users click on a menu choice on the left labeled Speed Dial
Then via a drop-down choose a number and complete two boxes - one for number to be dialed the other for Name
This would create a table of speed dial numbers
From now on, from the telephone handset dial number and # - e.g. 1# to speed dial the number associated with speed dial number 1

Give Basic users only 1 thru 9 (i.e. 9 speed dials)
Give Premier users 1 thru 99 (i.e. 99 speed dials)

hads

Re: Speed Dial

Post by hads » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:45 am

I second that request. I had this feature when I was with PhonePower. This is a very convenient option to have.

leavens

Post by leavens » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:54 pm

I totally agree!! If I had speed dial, it would make it very convenient for us older folks. I know I have a contact list and it would be nice to be able to speed dial from the list.

sidh

Post by sidh » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:31 am

Yes.

Virtually every VOIP system I have used has a two digit speed dial function that allows user to type # before or after the code to dial up to one hundred numbers easily. Would gladly pay for premier to get this.

Pkdunn

Post by Pkdunn » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:33 pm

I vote the same! Already the HD does this. Even with a standard phone, dialing something like **N where N is a number from 001 to 999 (as would be shown in the contact page) would be a super feature.

MapleOne

Post by MapleOne » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:24 am

I understand the use for speed dial but with favorites would that not be somewhat of a duplication?

I would like to see the left menu button (phone book) replaced by favorites instead. So basically a left menu push would show all favorites and be just as easy as speed dial. I have too many people in my phone book because I like to change the display names to what I recognize when people call in. However I rarely call most of these people.

Example: my dentist calls disguising their number to trick me into picking up. I don't need cleanings every 3 months so I add him to my phone book with name. Now I hardly ever call him so he does not need to be in my quick access button.

Change the left menu click to favorites instead of phone book and it is at least a compromise for speed dial.

MLXXXp

Post by MLXXXp » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:20 am

Pkdunn wrote:I vote the same! Already the HD does this. Even with a standard phone, dialing something like **N where N is a number from 001 to 999 (as would be shown in the contact page) would be a super feature.
And the specific speed dial number for each contact should be user settable, so I can put my most used contacts on low and/or easy to remember numbers, regardless of their order in the contacts list.

Want to make it more flexible? Make the speed dial field for each contact number be variable length and allow many digits. This way, speed dial numbers could be names, using the standard letters assigned to each phone digit.
For example, if the lead in for speed dialing was **#, then dialing **#659997 would be **#MLXXXp and could be assigned to your contact entry to dial me. Because of the variable lengths, you might also need a terminator, so you would have to dial **#659997#.

sslc

Post by sslc » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:29 am

Another one for Speed Dial (or favorite).

Gil

Post by Gil » Sun May 05, 2013 6:06 am

I am new to ooma but was very disappointed that it did not have speed dial. Just left nettalk but they did have speed dial which was a VERY nice feature. This surely should not be a hard things to implement
Gil

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Sun May 05, 2013 12:35 pm

Gil wrote:I am new to ooma but was very disappointed that it did not have speed dial. Just left nettalk but they did have speed dial which was a VERY nice feature. This surely should not be a hard things to implement
Gil
Don't you think that this would be a strange thing for the development team to put thier efforts into when they already support access to the Telo address book from their handsets? They even support import and export which is really nice. Ooma has a relatively small development team. Not to mention that many people have multi-unit cordless handsets that support speed dial, where entry on one handset automatically copies it to all other handsets. Some even support import from address book files as well.

No disrespect, but I fail to see how features like speed dial further the growth of the company. Innovation is what keeps the electronics industry healthy. If you just copy exactly what your competitor does, then you are left with nothing to compete on than price and that is always a losing proposition. Development of such a feature at a time when efforts are also focused on the business product would not be an efficient use of company resources. I personally would prefer the company sell more of their HD2 handsets to consumers that want quick access to phone numbers. Ooma put a lot of development time and effort into the HD2 and I'm also pleased that they are putting efforts into the Ooma Business product because I want to sell it here in Canada when it's available.

As long as Ooma continues to grow in efficient ways and earn revenue from their equipment sales and subscriptions, we as Ooma customers win and Ooma will be less likely to have to raise the subscription rates or take other measures to improve earnings.
Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0