Speed Dial

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
lbmofo
Re: Speed Dial

Post by lbmofo » Sun May 05, 2013 1:42 pm

EX Bell wrote:No disrespect, but I fail to see how features like speed dial further the growth of the company. Innovation is what keeps the electronics industry healthy.
Agree. Although Speed Dialing maybe convenient for a lot of folks and many other VoIP providers may have it available already, hence warrants Ooma's consideration....but it just isn't the "WOW" factor or "Game Changer" Ooma needs to spend time on (if already short on development bandwidth) to make Ooma irresistible to the majority of home phone users.

Wildcard Blacklisting is a huge step toward making Ooma standout from the crowd. IMHO, Ooma already achieved supremacy in the phone privacy arena via the Wildcard Blacklisting as of 4/1/13. However, there are some loose ends to tie up to further solidify this newly attained indisputable supremacy. I think there are spots where time would be better spent for Ooma. Example: Collection of Blacklist Related Requests.

Tuan

Post by Tuan » Tue May 07, 2013 5:10 pm

In case you didn't know, you can use the number keys to narrow down your search after you hit the left menu button (phone book). It will narrow your search for each number key pressed, so you don't have to press all letters in a name. For example, if you want to call David. You can hit the left menu button and 328 (DAV), David should appear on-screen.

Gil

Post by Gil » Fri May 10, 2013 10:07 am

First incorporating speed dial should not be a big thing to do. The way nettalk had it set up i set any number to call a phone number on the web site and it incorporated it to each phone in the house. Being on a retirement income I can not afford to by special phones to do this. Also I have sick people in the house that are bed ridden and with speed dial the only had to push 1# and some one came to help. I find very few phones on the market that have speed dial. Most have a directory you have to scroll down and open another item etc. for people over 70 this can be quite a challenge. Also to replace 5 phone in the house with ooma hd2 at 60.00 each or 350.00. Also I have worked with software some what and I can not see were its that big a deal.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri May 10, 2013 11:09 am

Gil wrote:I find very few phones on the market that have speed dial.
A lot of phones have the feature as "speed dial" or "memory dial."
A $10 or cheaper basic corded phone sometimes would have this feature.
Example: Southern Telecom Emerson single line WHITE by Southern Telecom
Manual: http://southerntelecom.com/emersonprodu ... nglish.pdf

Telo_BK

Post by Telo_BK » Fri May 10, 2013 2:25 pm

Since I don't care about speed dial, I hesitate to offer my two cents. But since I care about Ooma, and want to see them be more successful, here goes...

Speed dial is offered by most telephone service providers. It seems that many Ooma customers want Ooma to provide it too, and thus are making comparisons with other companies. It's true that it's not the technological game-changer. But aren't telephone companies known to be unresponsive (or at least very slow to respond to customer requests)? The game-changer need not necessarily be a breakthrough technological feature, but the very responsiveness and attention to detail that is lacking in other companies.

It seems to me that if Ooma were to embrace that philosophy they would gain the momentum they need to improve profitability, and hire more help to create the technological breakthroughs that we all want, and think will boost them even further.

If all these lesser competitors can offer speed dial as a basic feature, shouldn't Ooma do that too? Comparisons are inevitable. Why shouldn't Ooma come out favorably when such comparisons are made? That it isn't a distinguishing feature that would set Ooma even farther ahead of it's competitors is, to me anyway, a fallacy. It's analogous to saying that Tesla Motors shouldn't offer leather interiors because so many competitors do, and their sole focus should be on offering disruptive technologies to the driving experience.

Ooma can and should improve. Excusing things is one of the signs on the roadway to mediocrity.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri May 10, 2013 2:38 pm

Ooma has Favorites (10 of them) and Intelligent search on the HD2 handset.
What more do you want?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Telo_BK

Post by Telo_BK » Fri May 10, 2013 2:53 pm

Ooma has Favorites (10 of them) and Intelligent search on the HD2 handset.
What more do you want?
To not have to buy the poorly reviewed HD2 handset? Ooma's competitor's offer the feature from any phone (which are already on hand, interoperable, non-proprietary, and of whatever quality and offering whatever intrinsic features are desired by the consumer). Ooma can do better.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri May 10, 2013 7:07 pm

This Feature Requests forum is here so people can make suggestions. Some topics gather more forum member replies than others sometimes populated with colorful opinions. Ultimately, Ooma is the one deciding what to implement and what stays in queue.

As for how I look at these... is it worth it to Ooma? Other angles could be are customers jumping ship if not implemented? Would it attract more Premier customers? Function not provided by common home phone systems? To me, this is a "nice to have" in the priority list.

I don't think Ooma needs to implement things just because others have it. Do it only when it makes sense. Ooma has enough unique features that make Ooma special. Example: one button central VM review.

Telo_BK

Post by Telo_BK » Fri May 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Example: one button central VM review.
I am not familiar with that- to what unique Ooma feature do you refer? How does one use it?

Thanks

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri May 10, 2013 7:59 pm

I meant One-touch VM access.