Record Calls

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
mwhewett
Record Calls

Post by mwhewett » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:49 pm

I would like to be able to record calls, not just screen them.

Neubiee

Re: Record Calls

Post by Neubiee » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:26 pm

Google voice and ooma extensions should take care of that.

oompa

Post by oompa » Fri May 01, 2009 8:35 am

Neubiee wrote:Google voice and ooma extensions should take care of that.
Can you please elaborate. What Ooma extension that will take care of recording calls?

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri May 01, 2009 8:40 am

Soon Google voice will be available and ooma will partner with them.
Google voice has tons of options and one of them is recording.

Wayne

oompa

Post by oompa » Fri May 01, 2009 9:03 am

WayneDsr wrote:Soon Google voice will be available and ooma will partner with them.
Google voice has tons of options and one of them is recording.

Wayne
I checked Google Voice. You can record a call by pressing 4. But you can only record calls that you received not the one you initiated.

This will be interesting.

voipdabbler

Post by voipdabbler » Tue May 19, 2009 10:43 am

Before you start recording calls, make sure to check your state's statutes to determine if you have to notify the other party to the call before recording. Otherwise you might run afoul of criminal wiretap laws. Although under federal law only one party has to consent to the recording to avoid problems, some states--Maryland comes to mind (remember the Linda Tripp case)--require both parties consent to the recording.

sokha

Post by sokha » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:37 am

nice suggestion indeed.
i have a computer hook up to the phone which records the call automatically when i pickup the handset.

regarding the law, it is true that some states required both parties to be notified.
how do u handle this situation?
you can have a pre-recorded message that says, "YOUR CALL IS RECORDED FOR QUALITY ASSURANCE OR TRAINING PURPOSES."

oomg

Post by oomg » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:42 am

sokha wrote:nice suggestion indeed.
i have a computer hook up to the phone which records the call automatically when i pickup the handset.

regarding the law, it is true that some states required both parties to be notified.
how do u handle this situation?
you can have a pre-recorded message that says, "YOUR CALL IS RECORDED FOR QUALITY ASSURANCE OR TRAINING PURPOSES."
Add California to the two party consent list.

Having a pre-recorded message that says, "YOUR CALL IS RECORDED FOR QUALITY ASSURANCE OR TRAINING PURPOSES," may be acceptable, but then the question becomes whether the recording may be used for any other purpose. For example, California not only prohibits a nonconsensual recording of the conversation, it also prohibits the use of any recording made without consent from being offered as evidence.

I have heard many pre-recorded messages that say, "YOUR CALL MAY BE RECORDED FOR QUALITY ASSURANCE OR TRAINING PURPOSES." Sounds nice, but it doesn't seem to meet the requirement that the party be informed that the call is actually being recorded.

Of course that raises the question: if the other party objects to the recording, what next? Seems like there are only three options: turn off the recorder; terminate the call; or violate the law and expose yourself to both criminal and civil sanctions.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

sokha

Post by sokha » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:24 am

the law of the land is simple.
it was created for the PEOPLE.
when the law is unjust, nobody will comply.
thus, the law has to be re-written.
it was created by man, it can be changed by man.

oomg

Post by oomg » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:47 pm

sokha wrote:the law of the land is simple.
it was created for the PEOPLE.
when the law is unjust, nobody will comply.
thus, the law has to be re-written.
it was created by man, it can be changed by man.
I believe you are quoting Martha Stewart...

"it was created by man, it can be changed by man." That may be true, but in the meantime.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.