Remote Telo Reboot Function in My Ooma

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
wikiriki
Remote Telo Reboot Function in My Ooma

Post by wikiriki » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:20 am

My Ooma Telo often malfunctions by not ringing incoming calls but immediately sends the calls to voice mail instead. I only know this when I am trying to call home and I know someone is there but no one picks up. Rebooting my Telo almost always solves the problem. As it stands now, I have to call Ooma Tech Suport and ask for my issue to be elevated. The tech then reboots my Telo and the issue is resolved. Why can't I reboot my Telo from within the My Ooma web interface and save all that time and hassle?

lbmofo

Re: Remote Telo Reboot Function in My Ooma

Post by lbmofo » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:46 am

Perhaps something else is going on with your network. The feature you are requesting is a good idea. However, rebooting shouldn't be needed with Ooma if properly setup unless something else is going on.

For example, for whatever reason, I have a particular router ethernet port that has issues with maintaining VPN connection for my Ooma. I have 2 Ooma units and whatever is plugged into that particular ethernet port, would lose VPN after a couple of weeks or so. When this happens, I have to reboot the router to correct the situation. Still don't know why this is. I've updated router firmware, reset to router factory settings to start over but so far no resolution.

Other than your modem and router, to make sure your setup is optimal, check these posts out:

If after Router - viewtopic.php?t=12403

If before Router - viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

sberube

Post by sberube » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:48 pm

In general I would like a remote reboot feature via the local webui of the ooma. Seems a very reasonable feature to add.

redz

Post by redz » Fri May 27, 2016 7:24 am

Came across this thread because I was looking at remotely rebooting my moms telo via my ooma.

Surprised this feature does not exist in their portal.

RonC

Post by RonC » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:56 am

I too am surprised this isn't available.
My Ooma operates wireless and sits in the basement so it can connect into the wired phone system.
I have a combination of the usual wireless handsets and a couple of plug it into the wall individual phones.

For whatever reason, the Ooma box will start flashing red, and any phone calls in go to VM while if you happen to be home and happen to pick up the phone, you get a continuous beeping/busy signal.

If you can check the Status of the box using the my.ooma.com web page, why can't there be something to reboot the Ooma box if the status shows it offline?

JHOJNI

Post by JHOJNI » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:39 am

I just had and Internet outage yesterday and the Telo will not make or accept calls. I assume a reboot is needed. Unfortunately the Telo is in the deep, dark recesses of my basement. A reboot option in MyOoma would be greatly appreciated. Come on; even Comcast lets you remotely reboot you cable modem.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:25 am

It's in the local UI.
OomaBoot.jpg
OomaBoot.jpg (52.95KiB)Viewed 15332 times
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Stelcom66

Post by Stelcom66 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:50 am

Would it be possible to get to the local UI if your cable modem's IP address was known, along with a specific port? I'm not a network export but I believe the format would be the IP address followed by <port number>. Also maybe access to that port needs to be allowed/enabled via the cable modem and/or router?

I think that's the setup that allows my Dlink camera to be viewed remotely. I see in my router NAT is enabled with an available table to add entries to specific IP addresses, but nothing that specifies ports. This is in the Linksys Advanced Routing section. In Applications & Gaming, I do see where references Port Forwarding, Internal & External ports to route to a specific local IP address. Nowhere though do I see any reference to the camera. Don't really want to fool with anything since I'll admit I'm not very familiar with the process.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:27 am

Your cable modem doesn't have an IP address, at least not one that you can access. That connection is reserved to your ISP. Your router has an external IP address. What you want can be done but I do it a different way. I have a computer running on my network that runs 24/7. Running on it is a free for personal use program called TeamViewer. Don't use it for commercial use unless you buy it. The last time I checked it was $700 per copy. Using my laptop, when I am away from home, I can connect to the home computer and use it like I was sitting in front of it. My Telos are both connected to the router so my only access is through their internet port. On the advanced page in the Telo is a checkbox that allows access via the internet port. So I remote in to the 24/7 computer and use a browser to connect to the Telo's local IP address that was assigned to it by the router. There is a way to make sure the local IP address never changes but the process depends on the router and how it can be configured. Basically the router gets configured to issue IP addresses based on the MAC address of the requesting device.

Done this way the Telo is not visible to the outside world like it would be if port forwarding was used. The Telo does provide for a password if port forwarding is used.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Stelcom66

Post by Stelcom66 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:36 pm

That sounds similar to what my telecom company does for some customers. They provide a pc on their network - we connect to that via a commercial remote desktop program. If it's a old legacy PBX there's a serial connection to the PBX, others we access the local IP address of the PBX from the computer. Made note re: Teamviewer for personal use only. Seems safer to have access to the Telo via a 24/7 pc.

I have my Telo bookmarked - of course since mine is DHCP it's address can change after a power failure/reboot. If that happens I'll run a program that scans all the devices on my network by brand name. I think I've used access directly to the Telo to change the brightness of the light.

Looking at my cable modem's webpage, I don't see an IP address, as you said. So, I guess it's really the external Comcast address that I see on my router that would be accessed using the method I mentioned (which I don't think I'll do). The cable modem function is really to convert the coax connection to an ethernet port to the router (I don't have cable TV) if I understand correctly. I own the cable modem, I gave Comcast the MAC address when I set it up years ago. I wonder then - being a coax connected device, does the cable co. access the modem via it's mac address instead of an ip address?