Whitelist ... please

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
lbmofo
Re: Whitelist ... please

Post by lbmofo » Thu May 16, 2013 4:51 pm

OneCustomerOfMany wrote:Are you saying that Ooma considers the blacklist wildcards to also address the whitelisting request, and whitelisting is no longer being developed?
Not saying that. Ooma hasn't said anything about timeline on any of the Blacklist related requests but they are here: /viewtopic.php?t=15556

In the meantime, you can block all numbers using 9 entries 0* to 9* (I would not block your area code though).

OneCustomerOfMany

Post by OneCustomerOfMany » Thu May 16, 2013 5:04 pm

lbmofo wrote:
OneCustomerOfMany wrote:Are you saying that Ooma considers the blacklist wildcards to also address the whitelisting request, and whitelisting is no longer being developed?
Not saying that. ...
Phew, you scared me for a second there. Although I admire the enthusiasm and industriousness with which people manage blacklist patterns, I am hoping a whitelist will be simpler in my case. Even with whitelisting, I suspect I will still end up managing a small blacklist because of spam calls that leave a message. If blacklisted, I never hear them. If I use only whitelisting, they get to leave a message (since, practically speaking, I have to let unknown numbers leave a message).

So I hope I end up with a small whitelist of known numbers and a small blacklist of message-leaving junk callers. The worst case would be if all spammers start leaving messages, in which case my whitelist becomes useless and I have to rely on blacklists again.

Now ... how to get whitelisting for my mailing address. :D

OneCustomerOfMany

Post by OneCustomerOfMany » Thu May 16, 2013 5:15 pm

lbmofo wrote:In the meantime, you can block all numbers using 9 entries 0* to 9* (I would not block your area code though).
That's interesting. A lot of the junk calls I get are actually from my area code, and a lot of valid numbers are widely distributed around North America. I assume anyone who sets this up would send the blacklisted calls to voicemail.

You got me thinking - since non-whitelisted numbers must (for practical reasons) always go to voicemail, my whitelist can actually be a lot shorter than I thought. It doesn't have to hold the numbers of everyone I know, it only needs to hold the numbers of everyone I want to be able to interrupt me at any time. That is a short list!

Now I want whitelisting even more. ;)

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu May 16, 2013 5:25 pm

I meant to say 10 entries :) 0* to 9* is 10 entries

Take a look at how I think Whitelist should work (you may not like it because once you invoke whitelist processing, your call processing won't touch blacklist): /viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15620&start=10#p109485

OneCustomerOfMany

Post by OneCustomerOfMany » Thu May 16, 2013 5:35 pm

It would be nice to apply the blacklist to further restrict the ability of non-whitelisted callers to leave messages. Whether or not that is a big deal depends entirely on how many message-leaving spammers I get.

Do we have any information about how *Ooma* thinks it should work? If nothing else, a simple checkbox (apply blacklist to non-whitelisted numbers) would give us both the behavior you want and the behavior I want. Options are good, even if the testers and documenters hate them. (Programming is always easy.)

OneCustomerOfMany

Post by OneCustomerOfMany » Thu May 16, 2013 5:42 pm

I take that back - your proposal does actually allow mixing whitelisting and blacklisting, you just call it contacts exception - but it looks like a whitelist to me. So it looks ok to me.
Last edited by OneCustomerOfMany on Thu May 16, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneCustomerOfMany

Post by OneCustomerOfMany » Thu May 16, 2013 5:47 pm

Although ... that would assume I can blacklist my area code, and that the general blacklists I can put in "0*, 1* ..., 9*" (go to voice mail) could be overridden by more specific black lists "555-555-5555" (continuous ring). That's a big assumption. But again, it all depends on how many message-leaving spammers I get.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu May 16, 2013 5:56 pm

lbmofo wrote:you may not like it because once you invoke whitelist processing, your call processing won't touch blacklist
JK
OneCustomerOfMany wrote:Although ... that would assume I can blacklist my area code, and that the general blacklists I can put in "0*, 1* ..., 9*" (go to voice mail) could be overridden by more specific black lists "555-555-5555" (continuous ring). That's a big assumption. But again, it all depends on how many message-leaving spammers I get.
This would be taken care of if "Entry Level Treatment Option" is implemented.