Automatically discard short voicemail messages

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
AZBean
Automatically discard short voicemail messages

Post by AZBean » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:58 pm

I am still plagued with three or four robocallers a day despite subscribing to the community blacklist and creating a growing personal blacklist. These callers inevitably ending up being routed to voicemail either because I didn't answer or because I pressed the "Send to VM" button on the HD2 handset. Most of the time the voicemail has nothing but a second or two of silence. I then have to go through the hassle of deleting them. It would be nice if the voicemail system would automatically discard voice mail messages that were shorter than three seconds or so.

ooma_ftw

Re: Automatically discard short voicemail messages

Post by ooma_ftw » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:40 am

+1

Had to delete 9 "empty" VMs today. All less than 2 seconds long.

mike_b

Post by mike_b » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:30 am

Good suggestion. Another +1.

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:44 pm

Excellent suggestion! Before I had Ooma, my answering machines did not record a message if the person did not speak. Would really like to have that type of feature with the Telo.

In regard to the robo callers being routed to voicemail, why not just change your option to "Number Disconnected Message" ? When I first started using Ooma, I also had my personal blacklist set to "Send to Voicemail", but after having the same experience you are describing, I realized an important fact. Nobody on my personal blacklist is anyone I every want to hear from, so they should not receive confirmation that my number is still valid. Telemarketers, robo callers, spammers, scams, and telephone surveys now get a "Number Disconnected Message" when they call me and nothing more. This seems to have worked very well, because we now receive almost no telemarketing or robo calls.
Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0

waynedunham

Post by waynedunham » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Another +1 I get these all the time and they can be a pain if I'm not near the base unit to delete them. I'm not using an Ooma handset so deleting them from the handset can be a pain.

Having it automatically delete messages of 1-3 seconds would be great.

Leeway

Post by Leeway » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:19 pm

Hey, if it's a vote, count me in. I think it is a fantastic idea too.

Donna

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:24 am

It would be nice if Ooma didn't even save/register empty voice messages.

Since wildcard blacklisting, I moved to "send to VM" treatment option and I get quite a few of these empty messages.

Hope discarding empty messages is an option with Ooma's VM platform. It is with my cell....example, I would hear "We did not get your message either because you weren't speaking or...." something like that and VM never gets left if one hangs up before speaking.

kburgoyne

Post by kburgoyne » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:52 pm

Another vote for this feature. Perhaps let the user specify the cutoff length. The caller should still be logged, but the vmail discarded.

Please also add a separate filter for when notifications are sent to each destination. What I'd really like is to toss out 1-2 second vmails. I'd like all longer vmails to be emailed to me, but an SMS only sent for vmails longer than maybe 5 seconds.

What I'm describing is different levels of how much distraction during the user's day. 1-2 second vmails are spam hang-ups. 3-5 second vmails "might" possibly be something to be reviewed, but very unlikely to be something for which the user needs to receive an SMS notification for immediate attention. Over 5 seconds has a higher probability of being a legit vmail for which I'd like to receive an SMS notification.

peabody

Post by peabody » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:44 pm

Yet another vote for this feature. My old answering machine behaved this way - there had to be some voice activity before it would save the voicemail.

Jerry_NA

Post by Jerry_NA » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:27 am

I also get these short, empty messages from spam robocallers. They are a pain and a waste of time. Please, Ooma, delete them for us.