HOW DO I BLOCK PARTIAL CALLER ID? I keep getting calls with

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
OneCustomerOfMany
Re: HOW DO I BLOCK PARTIAL CALLER ID? I keep getting calls with

Post by OneCustomerOfMany » Tue May 27, 2014 12:21 pm

Dennis P wrote:Sorry if this wasn't posted earlier, but we are working on allowing you to block short/malformed caller-ids.
This is becoming an increasing nuisance to me. I know this was five years ago .. did it ever get implemented?

holmes4

Post by holmes4 » Tue May 27, 2014 3:57 pm

Apparently not, since such calls still come through. I got a call from "82" the other day, and calls from invalid area codes and exchanges still are passed.
Steve

OneCustomerOfMany

Post by OneCustomerOfMany » Thu May 29, 2014 11:36 am

Can anyone explain how something like this hasn't been implemented in 5 years? Was it dropped from the "working on" list, or are they still working on it? It sounds so easy - almost trivial. Are there hidden difficulties that could not be overcome? (I don't know what it is like to program a phone server, so maybe things like this that seem so easy are actually very difficult.)

I am not trying to be snarky, but .. 5 years? I worry that white listing (for example), which is more complicated, will never get implemented at this rate.

I know this is a user forum, but if anyone at Ooma is listening: Is there anything we can do to help you, other than just waiting? Do you need more programmers? Do you need beta testers? Do you need ideas or algorithms?

benwood

Post by benwood » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:38 am

This just happened to me. I wouldn't have answered, but my phone line is being worked on and I thought it might be something funky caused by the technician ringing the line.

But anyway... the caller ID said
88793 88793 Today 09:21 AM 00:14

Seriously, this is allowed to go through? I'm a java programmer. If the number of digits < 7, just don't let it go through, eh? I presume this bug is to support internal corporate transfers? Just give me a setting to opt out!

This is only the first one of these so maybe Ooma has solution but this slipped through the cracks?

BTW, speaker had Indian accent, so I'm sure it was just a boiler room fraud operation overseas.

--Ben