Receive Text Messages

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
kjg
Re: Receive Text Messages

Post by kjg » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:27 pm

Bump.

This feature is still not supported, and is a huge pain, especially with the majority of phones being SMS capable and the expectation that everyone can receive text messages. Multi-ring is valuable selling feature of the Ooma service, but is sadly downgraded by the lack of support for SMS forwarding.

*Please* consider adding this the short list of new features.

Thanks!

EFlores

Post by EFlores » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:42 pm

Bump.... Please add this feature, it would be awesome to have, a friend of mine is only waiting for this to sign up with her Telo. Thanks all. :D

geo8rge

Post by geo8rge » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:36 pm

You do not need to change any of your hardware to implement texting. Just forward all texts to the email address on record, let the user handle it from there.

I use motorla assist which allows me to send and receive text messages to my cellphone from any google chrome browser. I like it, it lets me use a PC with a full size hi res screen and full size keyboard, but at the same time I can use my cell phone if that is all that is available.

Once again I do not think people want to send and receive texts on ooma handsets. It might even be possible to create a rudimentary email system that could be accessed from any web browser. your email address would be your ooma number @ooma.com. Really I think people just want rudimentary text service, nothing fancy.

Maybe talk to the motorla asssist people and see if they will let you like ooma numbers to google accounts.

geo8rge

Post by geo8rge » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:01 pm

Oooma might also work well with Republic Wireless. Republic Wireless has a cellphone service that if an adequate Wifi internet is available will shift calls over wifi. Republic has full texting capabilities. It would be sweet if there were a combined ooma republic service that had ooma covering the internet and landline service with Republic covering the Cellphone and wifi service using the same phone number.

Darkbob

Post by Darkbob » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:40 pm

I thought I was smart - make a Google Voice type system up in Canada. I ported my cell to Ooma. Then I call forward my Ooma to my new cell. When I'm in Canada, I forward to my Canadian cell. When I'm down south in the winter, I forward to my US cell. Easy, right?

Except texting. Because Google Voice handles texting like a dream. But not Ooma.

When people call my Ooma, I answer them on my cell. Naturally they assume they can text me.

Nope. So we've missed a few important texts.

But now the lack of texting is a big issue. I've managed to lock myself out of my Gmail account. Google texted the recovery code to my cell phone. Which is now my Ooma phone. D'oh! No luck.

It looks like I will have to either get a new email address OR port my Ooma number out to a real cell phone.

This lack of text support is a serious annoyance for customers but shouldn't it be an embarrassment to Ooma? Vonage can do it. Line2 can do it. I bet my dog could do text forwarding if he ran a cell company. Grrr.

holmes4

Post by holmes4 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:27 am

If you have Premier, you can use Ooma's Google Voice integration that makes your GV number used for outgoing calls. So your friends can text you back and GV will pick it up. Do the forwarding in GV, not Ooma.

I don't have any suggestions for your lockout issue at this point, though you could have protected yourself against this in multiple ways beforehand.
Steve

JedWare

Post by JedWare » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:34 pm

Add my vote for this feature as well. I understand about the google voice option but that doesn't work well if you already have your home phone migrated to ooma and that is your primary number you have already given out.

I have run into several cases where people have tried to text my home phone and not realize it is a landline and I don't see the text. People cannot tell if a number is cell or landline. I think this would give ooma an advantage to have a home phone that could also forward texts to the same email as voicemail so no messages are missed.

oomg

Post by oomg » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:16 am

I agree with JedWare, particularly since so many people have smart phones. It seems that it would be possible to use Ooma Mobile to receive and send texts as well as forwarding those texts to an email address so that even those who do not have a smart phone could at least receive text messages. I still use Line2 (primarily for a toll free number for clients) which allows me to send and receive MMS texts.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

OnThePhone

Post by OnThePhone » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:50 am

:?: :?:

WHEN IS OOMA GOING TO UPGRADE AND ENABLE US TO RECEIVE TEXT MESSAGES AS A VOICEMAIL ATTACHMENT?

This is ridiculous... :o :o :o :o
The whole world is texting and when someone sends us a text message on Ooma (Residential OR Business accounts), it goes into a black hole... ooma doesn't even send a rejection message to the sender so at least they know it didn't go through.

Whatever the text message is, it should be emailed to us as a voicemail attachment.

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS TAKING SO LONG TO DO THIS??? :?: :?: :?:

Steve71

Post by Steve71 » Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am

Add me to the list. Please support text messages somehow!