Disable Option for DHCP

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
hanna
Re: Disable Option for DHCP

Post by hanna » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:25 pm

AMEN! I have also wasted a few days trying to figure out why half the devices on my network weren't communicating. Where were they getting these 175.x.x.x ip addresses? Anyone with a network already has a router. We do not need Ooma to route and we certainly don't need any device that can't be turned off! This makes Ooma more of a liability than an asset. Now that Magic Jack has a device that works without computer, I think I'm heading back to Magic Jack. Cheaper and less of a pain in the ass.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:18 pm

hanna wrote:AMEN! I have also wasted a few days trying to figure out why half the devices on my network weren't communicating. Where were they getting these 175.x.x.x ip addresses? Anyone with a network already has a router. We do not need Ooma to route and we certainly don't need any device that can't be turned off! This makes Ooma more of a liability than an asset. Now that Magic Jack has a device that works without computer, I think I'm heading back to Magic Jack. Cheaper and less of a pain in the ass.
If Ooma is before the router, you won't have issues except when you need to access your network's service(s) of somekind from outside (you have to do port forwarding).....If too much trouble, just put Ooma after your router and don't plug anything into the "Home Internet" port; you won't have issues either. Either way, Ooma is not the problem, how you used it might have given you trouble. Can't blame Ooma for that one.

hanna

Post by hanna » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:31 pm

Ooma IS the problem. More and more devices are network capable and they're all fighting to be first behind the modem. Ooma is too unreliable for me personally to rely on to route my networked devices. I'd rather miss a phone call.
There are all kinds of situations and all kinds of setup limitations. It is stupid and short sighted not to have a DHCP OFF setting.

ernieb

Post by ernieb » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:16 am

+1

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:54 am

For now, just put your Ooma on the router.

ChrisZ

Post by ChrisZ » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:18 am

I would also like to have the ability to disable the DHCP server in the Telo. The Telo is not and never will be the router for my network. I have enterprise-grade equipment for that. Please give us the option of turning off the functions we don't need in a near-future firmware upgrade.

Chris

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:22 am

As was already stated, connect the Internet port of your Telo to a LAN port of your router and leave the Telo's Home port unused. I have been configured that way since day 1 and it works fine.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx