Thank you OOMA for improving blacklisting--keep it coming

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
holmes4
Re: Thank you OOMA for improving blacklisting--keep it coming

Post by holmes4 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:04 am

Yes, I had reasons for switching to Ooma and in general I am happy here. The limited blacklist feature is still a sore point, though. If Ooma implemented my suggestion to automatically blacklist invalid NANP numbers, I wouldn't care anywhere near as much.

I am well aware that there are other providers with even worse blacklist implementations.
Steve

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:02 am

One thing Ooma has advantage on is the proprietary Ooma hardware where a lot of the said/related blacklist processing can be placed but I am guessing it maybe quite an overhaul to move away from the current implementation flavor via central switch processing.

phoenixtommy

Post by phoenixtommy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:15 pm

And I thought I was obsessive. I have met my masters. Some of these blocking schemes are awfully complex. Here's what I do: I block all of the toll-free numbers (almost no good comes from toll-free numbers). So I block 800, 888, 877, 866 and 855 and have them go to voice mail (just in case). Calls that get through that I don't want get added to the blacklist.

Maybe I've been lucky, as I have never received the number of calls some of you have. Of course I've had the same number for 28 years and signed-up for the 'Do Not Call' registry as soon as possible.

I've had Ooma less than three months. I'm anxious to see how well the blacklist works in the next political campaign.

GeneAum

Post by GeneAum » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:31 pm

Been looking around for user/community lists - haven't found such a thing yet.

It would be great for instance, to have users in each city post robo numbers, etc. onto a Ooma list.
That would eliminate all individual efforts.
Someone mentioned wildcarding all tollfree numbers. Well, a scan of my recent robo/election calls shows the numbers are all local area codes.

Anyone know of a community submitted list site?

Thanks, GA