General Complaint

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
chipsm
General Complaint

Post by chipsm » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:24 am

I have been an Omma Customer for over 6 years. I bought into and subscribed to Omma when reviewers were questioning your ability to survive as a business.
I must say that for most of this time I have been a very satisfied customer. I started with the original Ooma box and the add-on device that gave me the ability to have 2 lines and utilize a 2 line portable phone system. I upgraded to the new Telo when it came out but I lost the ability to utilize my 2 line portable phones. I accepted that. I ordered the new handsets that became available and disappointment started. The Handsets were somewhat unreliable and the benefit of having the 2 lines available was OK at best. The handsets had very unreliable batteries but the worked.
Then the new telo handset 2 came out. This has been a nightmare at best. I have had nothing but problems with these handsets losing connection with the telo base unit. Doing completely erratic dropping out and locking all of the handsets from connection with the base units. These devices seem to be running on the edge of technology and are completely unreliable. I have called tech support numerous times and I can't get any satisfaction. They have me unregister the handsets and have even suggested to me that I need to buy a new telo unit because they suspect that my unit is dropping the handsets. I have explained that this problem only has happened with the new HD2 handsets, so I don't believe that the telo is the problem. I have asked to have mu call moved up the ladder to a higher level service call and I keep getting the same supervisor with the same old service level. I can't get them to let me talk to an engineer. so that this problem can get resolved. It seem as though Ooma has decided that this off-shore service is the way to go. I am totally disappointed with this support level of service.
My wife has lost complete confidence in using Ooma. I have since pretty much retired my 4 HD2 handsets and have gone back to my Panasonic wireless phones. I must say that I can no longer recommend Ooma, at least not the HD2 handsets. And I am really disappointed with their Customer technical support.
Ooma you are losing it.

lbmofo

Re: General Complaint

Post by lbmofo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:40 am

If you are still Premier, you can take advantage of instant second line via the Linx device. You'd need to get another set of DECT 6 phone system to plug into the Linx. Give that a try if HD2 didn't work out, you maybe able to sell your HD2s on eBay.

Aubuchon

Post by Aubuchon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:09 am

I really had high hopes forr ooma. Everybody knows that a business must evolve or become extinct so I'm not begrudging them for making changes. But unfortunatly ooma decided to abandon the original business model (buy one device for free calls for life with features included) and replaced it with the Premiere model that essentially takes us back to monthly or yearly recurring charges for services. Perhaps if ooma had listened to the requests on these forums that aksed them to allow people to pick and choose which feature they want and charge a la carte for services then we wouldn't be talking about selling the devices on ebay and craigslist. A lot of business' and government agencies still use fax machines to send and receive documents. Ooma has dragged it's feet on this and only recently added a redundancy feature but even that doesn't work according to some users. Once I receive my new Obi202 voip device then I will be posting a review here to compare it's faxing capabilities compared to oomas's using the same exact internet setup. Just an FYI, The obihai device (obi202) is using the original ooma business model. It has all the features that ooma Premiere does but doesn't charge a monthly fee, just the one-time charge currently at $71.99, just sayin...
Also, ooma should have stayed away from selling low quality handsets. Better to not have a handset at all than to have your name on a flimsy, low quality piece of equipment.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:26 am

Aubuchon wrote:Just an FYI, The obihai device (obi202) is using the original ooma business model. It has all the features that ooma Premiere does but doesn't charge a monthly fee, just the one-time charge currently at $71.99, just sayin...
Obihai just sells you the hardware, they don't provide VoIP services. The only reason you don't pay service fees when using Obihai with Google Voice is because Google chooses not to charge as of yet. You can use Obihai with other VoIP services where you do have to pay monthly service fees. If using Google Voice, there is no 911 service unless you setup arrangement with a 3rd party service provider which will cost you money.

Aubuchon

Post by Aubuchon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:38 am

I'll just be using it for fax so I won't need it for 911 purposes. (I''ll use my cellphone for that). Or Anveo provides
E911 for just $0.8 per month.

If for some reason faxing doesn't work with my Google number (or the unlikely scenario that Google starts charging in 2014) then I'll use Callcentric or some other SIP provider. Either way, the $71.99 one-time charge for the obi202 (even using Callcentric) will be less expensive than ooma's recurring charges while maintaing all the same services and features. Will give a detailed review once the device is set up.

MapleOne

Post by MapleOne » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:19 pm

I have 4 HD2 handsets and other than a couple of reboots in four months I have had no issues.

I really like the HD2 handsets, especially that the address book is synced to each handset.

The only minor complaint I have is that it is not intuitive to use two lines, there are too many steps required for that.

But reliability wise I cannot complain.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:33 am

see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15552 for discussion on 2 lines

DebH

Post by DebH » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:14 pm

Hi!
I know your post is old, but I am having this same problem. Did you ever find a solution?

Thanks,
Deb

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:29 am

Your telo needs to be replaced. When you receive the replacement:

1. unregister each HD2 (menu|settings|bottom option) or simply dial *#*#199 from a phone attached to the telo phone port.
2. unplug the old telo
3. plug in the new telo
4. register each HD2 with the new telo