The most INCREDIBLE feature suggestion discussion

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
oomamaniacal
Re: The most INCREDIBLE feature suggestion discussion

Post by oomamaniacal » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:36 am

The PIN code suggestion is a good idea, but I think a less complicated solution would be to have an auto attendant ask the caller to, for example, "Press one for John," etc. I used to have an auto attendant telephone system, and in my experience, that eliminated all the telemarketers that use automated dialers. When their predictive dialer hears a recorded message, it disconnects the call automatically. I see that OOMA offers the auto attendant (virtual receptionist) on their office system. I hope that OOMA would also offer it on the residential system. There could be different ring patterns based on which option is chosen, also, so that a family member would know immediately who should answer the phone. This would make OOMA ideal for me and eliminate the need for separate phone numbers for each family member.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

GMOOMA

Post by GMOOMA » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:01 am

MapleOne wrote:OK guys...

Do you think you have an above average suggestion for a feature (I mean something that is waaaaay outside the box) then please chirp in here.

Here is mine.....

For all the people that want COMPLETE PRIVACY I would like to suggest an access code pin.

In other words... when you call the Ooma asks for a 4 digit access code. If you have it then it rings, if you don't it goes to voicemail.

Now all telemarketers and everyone else cannot disturb you. Give family members an access code and they can get through.

Take this feature to the next level and allow custom access codes to be set in the control panel where I can give different codes to different people. So if I have custom furniture on order the company can get through. But when my furniture arrives and I don't want any solicitation call I delete that access code and they go straight to voicemail.

Pretty revolutionary idea, don't you think?
This feature was around for business lines (toll free) which had custom "attendant" answering systems. Some of these attendant systems were programmed to answer at the central offices before any call was routed, others were after the call is accepted. The big problem for businesses was having a large number of calls to important toll free numbers resulting in security/privacy problems. Not to mention calling back in the 80s way more expensive than it is today. I doubt Ooma would implement anything like this except for business lines/accounts. If your having annoying calls to a number you got from Ooma, they might be able to change it for you (possibly for no charge the 1st time).

swamper

Post by swamper » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:03 am

I think it would just tick off the few friends and family who do actually call me on a regular basis.

Might be a great feature for Ooma Office, however, particularly if used by a business to allow employee, specified clients, or consultant access to the PBX. Those businesses who have two or more lines, one for established customers/clients and one for new callers could benefit.