port number from ooma to t-mobile

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
kdcalif
port number from ooma to t-mobile

Post by kdcalif » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:37 pm

Hi

I'd like to port my ooma number (which was ported to ooma from at n t) to tmobile. does ooma allow that? what are the steps to do this.

thanks

lbmofo

Re: port number from ooma to t-mobile

Post by lbmofo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:44 pm

You talk to whoever you want to port the number to. They will handle it for you.
If you only have 1 number in your ooma account, your account will be deactivated once number ports out.
To reactivate, there is a $80 fee.

leopheard

Re: port number from ooma to t-mobile

Post by leopheard » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:54 am

Just wanted to give my findings for anyone else looking to port their Ooma VOIP number to Google Voice and also so this will appear in their search results.

On Tuesday evening approx 9PM, I received my T-Mobile SIM. I just purchased a SIM starter kit for $10 directly from T-Mobile and also a PAYG plan for $3. Not sure if I had to buy the plan itself too, but their website seemed to suggest it and it was only $3.

So, I called to register it, they were a bit confused as the SIM was purchased directly from T-Mobile, it was already registered to their network. I think SIMs bought at Walmart etc. aren't? Anyway, I put in the new SIM into my phone, rebooted it to refresh the device/SIM and before I'd even got off the phone it was showing the number I wanted to keep! Pretty amazing. Think it was all ready to go before I even inserted the SIM TBH.

Strangely, my Ooma was still able to dial out with this number too, but any calls incoming went to my cellphone. Didn't need to give any PIN or account number to the T-Mobile operator, as Ooma confirmed there are none.

Then I went to Google Voice to port it over. Wouldn't work at first til I had the PIN/PUK/porting number. Can't remember exactly what Google Voice called it, but came back with an error within just a few minutes. Re-processed with the PUK code, then went to normal processing. I think this took literally just a few hours, as by 9AM the next morning, Google Voice was accepting incoming and outgoing calls with this ported number. All in all, a very easy process and I was amazed at how quick it was.