Google Voice

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
MikeekiM
Re: Google Voice

Post by MikeekiM » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:38 pm

stormin wrote:Ooma should be prepared to refund Premier fees and buy back hardware that was purchased because of their advertising GVE availability without caveats. Or provide free hardware swaps from Hub to Telo for the same reason.

This is getting ridiculous, Ooma needs to make a formal statement and stop the speculation in this thread.
I know GV was a factor in my decision to go premier... I won't say it was the only factor...but it was a significant one... :(
Customer Since: August 2009
Ooma Hardware: Ooma Telo (Original Legacy Hub/Scout Customer)
Ooma Service: Premier Lifetime (Since October 2009)

BlueHeeler

Post by BlueHeeler » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:27 pm

I haven't gone to Premier yet, but I would have waited for the Telo to be released before purchasing, if I knew GVE was tied to the Telo as I bought the hub a month before the telo's release. I figured if there is no indication GVE was tied to the Telo and was announced long before the telo release, it must be available for the hub/scout and didn't even think it was tied to hardware. Crazy. Feels a little like a bait and switch play. How many people in the 6 months before the Telo was released bought the hub/scout with their eyes partially on GVE just to have it not available to them?

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:56 pm

I've been using Google Voice as a front end for my ooma systems since June of 2009. I love the features that GV adds to my ooma systems. I have both the hub/scout and also the new Telo. I am glad that ooma and Google have a partnership but I have been enjoying the benefits since I got my GV number.

Google Voice and ooma already work well together. I love the combination and now have one number that gets me everywhere. Home, cell, ooma. No one needs to know where I am for me to receive a call. The two technologies work well together with NO ADDITIONAL integration. Just my humble opinion. :P
Last edited by southsound on Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:02 am

Does anyone know if there will be a limit on the amount of GV numbers that will work with Ooma. I have 5 GV numbers (1 for each family members) but can't use them all since Google limits my home non-google number to 2GV accounts. By the way I waited (9 months) for the Telo since it sounded like the Telo would be able to do more then the Hub. I remember telling my wife that we have to wait until Ooma comes out with the Telo since we don't want old tech and I had all these GV numbers that I wanted to use. Your right Ooma did not say that GV would not work for the Hub but I figured it would not work with the older Hub. GV works well with any phone system. The main thing is having caller ID show up on outbound calls will not work.

joeed2

Post by joeed2 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:59 am

The way I looked at it back then:

If I waited 9 months for the Telo, I would have had to keep my landline another 9 months. I was paying about $46 per month on my bare-bones landline. So the cost for the 9 month wait would have been 9 x $46 = $414. At that point I pulled the trigger on the Hub instead of waiting for the Telo. Also, the Telo kept getting delayed, and didn't seem to have a firm release date, the date seemed to keep moving.

Anyway, no going back in time... Regardless of what happens, I feel I am much better off with Ooma than AT&Fee.

dsinternet

Post by dsinternet » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:52 pm

I was with Vonage paying about $24 per month and was locked into a 1 year plan. I was going to overlap the Vonage and Telo for awhile, but the Telo kept getting delayed. My 1 year commitment ended with Vonage and I went month to month with them until the Telo came out. I see your point. I would have gotten the Hub+Scout if I was your situation.
Anyway,
Any word on how many GV phone numbers will work with the Telo. Will each GV number be similar to the $4.99 numbers you can get from Ooma (but free)?

gmw

Post by gmw » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:41 pm

joeed2 wrote:I wonder what would happen to the telecom industry if Google Voice allowed you to port your number over to it?
Well, you can port a number over to GV, with some loss of functionality. So I guess we'll see what happens to the telcos....

feartheturtle

Post by feartheturtle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:11 pm

gmw wrote:
joeed2 wrote:I wonder what would happen to the telecom industry if Google Voice allowed you to port your number over to it?
Well, you can port a number over to GV, with some loss of functionality. So I guess we'll see what happens to the telcos....
Really ??
Please explain how one can port a number to GV! Can this be done now, or are you referring to "future promises?"

ggilman

Post by ggilman » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:06 am

feartheturtle wrote:
gmw wrote:
Really ??
Please explain how one can port a number to GV! Can this be done now, or are you referring to "future promises?"
You can't right now. This is from Google Voice's help:
Although you can't currently port your existing number to Google Voice, we hope to offer this option in the near future.
So, maybe in the future but not today.

b1gted

Post by b1gted » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:39 am

Any comment on Google Voice extensions going Public beta soon?