Mounting holes for wall/cabinet mount

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Linwood
Mounting holes for wall/cabinet mount

Post by Linwood » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:22 pm

OK, I know the history is that the Ooma sits on a counter where a phone used to be... but why? Especially on the new one (no 1-2 button) the reasons for having it there are pretty slim.

I decided to mount mine up high in a closet next to the alarm panel. That gives me access to the RJ31X to put it in the proper place on the house phone wiring, and also is up high, and away from the router/wireless that's in another closet (two broadcasting wireless devices side by side are not a great idea even if there's a bit of frequency gap).

And... no holes.

And I didn't feel like opening it up and drilling holes, so I made a little rack/tray for it.

But anyway... for those who might want to squirrel it away and not have it on a table -- how about two mounting holes, like even the cheapest of switchs/routers/etc. have?

lbmofo

Re: Mounting holes for wall/cabinet mount

Post by lbmofo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:31 am

What about this long zip tie solution? /viewtopic.php?t=963#p12708

Linwood

Post by Linwood » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:54 am

lbmofo wrote:What about this long zip tie solution? /viewtopic.php?t=963#p12708
Ironically I had partially strampped it up with wire ties, then decided not to use it. It's a pretty curved, slick box, the only direction that seemed to hold crossed over the jacks.

I cut out some hangers from starboard scraps I had lying around. Not beautiful, but Ok for the top of a closet. I made the outside angle back to match the shape, so the Telo has to slide in, then the plugs in the jacks keep it from sliding out.

Need to go clean and staple up the wiring still, the biggest deal was running another ethernet cable from the main switch (attic in florida in sunny weather is no fun). Still have to test the alarm with it (it will be a backup, I'm not trusting VoIP for primary), but need food first.
temp.jpg
Wall hanger
temp.jpg (163.86KiB)Viewed 15584 times
PS. Yes, re running cable, I know I could have used wireless -- I really like wires for reliability. Could have put a small hub in also to prevent running the wire, but wires are more reliable than hubs also.

PPS. But still -- a couple of mounting holes on the bottom would have been quite helpful.

JadeKyle

Post by JadeKyle » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:05 am

It seriously took me 45 seconds to find the Ooma in this photo :D
Ooma Service:
Lifetime Premiere account
Ooma Equipment:
Ooma original Hub and Scout
Ooma Telo
2-HD2 handsets
Ooma Customer Since: April 2008

Linwood

Post by Linwood » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:29 am

JadeKyle wrote:It seriously took me 45 seconds to find the Ooma in this photo :D
Yeah, once I uploaded it, I found the scroll bar doesn't work horizontally if you maximize the photo. Lousy website, lousy photographer, but hope you enjoyed playing "Where's Waldo". :D

JadeKyle

Post by JadeKyle » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:37 am

Interestingly, if you don't click on the photo, my Macs magic pad allows me to freely roam the photo. When I clicked on it, the 1/2 of your Ooma support device looks like a vertical modem. I kinda felt foolish when the Ooma didn't jump out faster. :-)
Ooma Service:
Lifetime Premiere account
Ooma Equipment:
Ooma original Hub and Scout
Ooma Telo
2-HD2 handsets
Ooma Customer Since: April 2008

jreiser

Post by jreiser » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:24 am

I'll add my vote for a wall mount. The Telo occupies too much desk space, and all the other communication equipment (cable modem, wifi router, ethernet switch, Belkin 12-outlet power strip+surge suppressor) is on the wall already. It should be possible to have ANY of the 4 sides on top.

I saw an exploded picture of the Telo somewhere on ooma.com. The circuit board is mounted parallel to the face which has the lighted hexagonal status indicator, so the thick edge of the box has plenty of interior space between the bottom of the case and the board. Careful drilling through the bottom can avoid the circuit board. Or, there's always velcro and glue.

asix

Post by asix » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:05 pm

I too wanted to wall-mount my OOMA, and was not deterred by the short-sightedness of the OOMA design.

So, I ventured to Home Depot, looking for some kind of way to "hook" this single use design to my network wall.

And I found it. A wire plate hanger.

Using some pliers, I bent it until fit snuggly on the back. It's hanging under my stairs on my plywood network wall securely now. See pictures.

IMG_1771.jpg
IMG_1771.jpg (76.27KiB)Viewed 13975 times
IMG_1770.jpg
IMG_1770.jpg (45.56KiB)Viewed 13975 times
IMG_1769.JPG
IMG_1769.JPG (90.17KiB)Viewed 13975 times

rpiotro

Post by rpiotro » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:33 pm

Clever! Good enough.
"Well, are you talkin' about what it is you know or just repeating what it was you heard?"
Grace Slick

Cienega32

Post by Cienega32 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:24 am

Very clever indeed!

I just grabbed this off of Amazon: Anco Precision Ooma Wall Mount
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... UTF8&psc=1

Haven't mounted it yet but it looks promising.