Make Personal Blacklist a Core Feature

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
scottlindner
Re: Make Personal Blacklist a Core Feature

Post by scottlindner » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:32 pm

Gaelic1 wrote:I opted for a new Ooma provided phone #. It is not listed anywhere and if telemarketers get it, it's my fault for letting it out. My Panasonic Dect 6 phones come with a basic # blocking option and that's enough for me. I feel I get so much free for the basic service, it is more than fair to pay a nominal fee for the extras.
I think that is the general idea. You get a dial tone for free, everything else you pay for. I was paying $42/mo for a dial tone before I switched to Ooma so I'm quite pleased with it all. I eventually opted for Premier to get the second line and blacklist. The blacklist feature alone is worth it. You're lucky to have it built into your phone already!

Scott

niknak

Post by niknak » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:35 pm

...it's my fault for letting it out..
Not necesarily, telemarketers use mass dialing programs - for example
212-555-0000 to 9999, so if they target your area code and exchange you will get called unless they play by the rules and omit do not call #s

jm9496

Post by jm9496 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:50 pm

We all assuming that community blacklisting works in a way that uses some mathematical formula and personal blacklists, right?. Skipping the systems engineering, math, and statistics for the moment, the point is simply this: The best results for community blacklists would therefore generated when the largest number of people effectively use blacklists. When only 1/4 of omma subscribers use premiere services (and therefore blacklists), there exists a significant artificial constraint on the quality of the community blacklist. So, while community blacklists may remain a premiere feature, providing access to blacklists for all Ooma users would improve the accuracy of the community blacklist generated from these for premiere subscribers.

On the same topic, there needs to be a little more transparency in how the community blacklist works.