Text Messaging

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
rainbowjupiter
Text Messaging

Post by rainbowjupiter » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:51 pm

Ok, I hope this doesn't sound too strange. I love ooma, and I'm disabled, so I'm not able to leave the house as much as i would like too. I've had mobile service with AT&T for many many years, and I just want to cut down on the cost. So when my contract is up next year, I'm cancelling my service with them, and porting my number to Ooma.

Now, what I would love to see, is a text messaging option for those who solely use Ooma, and have no android or ios. I know technology has come a long way, and will continue that path in the years too come. as of now, I use a program called Mighty Text. I love it, even though I really don't text a lot, my kids text more than they call. So, Mighty Text is absolutely wonderful for someone like me. I can log into my account online and then send and receive texts from my pc and not my phone.

I can type nearly 100 wpm on my pc compared to 5 wpm on my phone.

I'm just wondering if this is something that could happen with Ooma, for those who still want text messaging, and not have to pay for a mobile phone as well. again, i'm no scientist or developer, so I have no clue what kind of technology this would take, or if it's possible. and I don't want to come off looking like an idiot either.

it seems, if Ooma can incorporate a website like Mighty Text with their own product, then this would be an absolute genuine application for me and people like me, I know the kids wouldn't use it. but for someone like me this would be perfect. and I understand that not everyone stays at home, or is disabled like me, so the cost into it, may not be worth it. I'm not sure, but Mighty Text is free, so who knows?

I hope someone with a more technological detailed background than me, might be able to chime in on this and see if it's possible or cost effective for Ooma.

I would love to have something like this, because in March, I will no longer be able to text.

I saw in another post with a similar question, someone was bashing the op because to them it's a ridiculous idea, and that google voice does exactly what I'm asking. I know nothing about google voice. So, if someone can tell me if that's possible to do, then I will gladly go that direction.

thank you, and sorry for the long post

oomamaniacal

Re: Text Messaging

Post by oomamaniacal » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:35 pm

Yes, Google Voice offers free text messaging. Also, it is possible (for a small fee) to port a mobile phone number to Google Voice, if you want to keep your mobile number. You can set up a Google Voice account to ring other phone numbers for incoming calls, so you could have your Ooma phone ring when someone calls your Google Voice number. Ooma Premier subscribers can have their Google number displayed when making calls from their Ooma phone. It is possible to do that without Premier, but you would have to dial your Google number first.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

holmes4

Post by holmes4 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:53 am

Just be aware that some online services that send text messages don't work with Google Voice. (Actual texts sent from phones are fine.)
Steve

hbustani

Post by hbustani » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:18 pm

Please ooma, if you are not going to support receiving of text messages, then AT LEAST LET THE SENDER OF A TEXT MESSAGE KNOW THAT THEIR MESSAGE CANNOT BE DELIVERED!
Otherwise, they assume their message was delivered, and then a fiasco results, and no one is happy.

I have to emphasize:

Not being able to receive text messages in just an inconvenience, something we can live with.

On the other hand, not letting the sender of a text message know that their message could not be delivered can create all sorts of embarrassing situations. This is simply unacceptable.

Paul344

Try FreedomPop for free cell service

Post by Paul344 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:54 pm

I am also disabled and I save by using a GV number connected to Ooma's virtual number for my main line. I use GV for texting and Ooma for voice calls. If you still wont to use your smart phone you can sign up with FreedomPop to get free to low cost service. Has various monthly and pay as you go plans. Buy a sim card or a used phone. Service quality and speed varies with area. You can't expect the best for free or low cost. The service has been vary good in the areas I use my smart phone. :)