"Onvoy" landline calls

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
busy1
"Onvoy LLC" landline VoIP phone calls

Post by busy1 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:39 pm

A robo call with a local phone number just called and a search revealed that it came through a local "Onvoy" land line. Apparently, this company provides phone numbers for such calls nationwide/worldwide?), so conceivably, the call could have originated anywhere. The "SSI" in the caller display, is intended to deceive: the company advertises that it offers "SS7" service. And, like the other ooma customers who have listed their dissatisfaction with these types of calls, I would like Ooma to address the robo call aggravation.

Is an Ooma-specific proram like "nomorobo" feasible? Given the loss of privacy in nomorobo's terms of service, I'm not sure I would subscribe (to nomorobo) even if Ooma were listed as available. And who is "nomobo"/Telephone Science Corporation? The concept is great, but not enough information is available online to make me feel comfortable about committing to it.

lbmofo

Re: "Onvoy LLC" landline VoIP calls

Post by lbmofo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:06 pm

Onvoy is one of Ooma's carriers. They maybe servicing your Ooma call traffic depending on where you are.

If you are a premier customer, Ooma gives you an easy option to leverage NOMOROBO to block your calls on top of Ooma personal and community blacklists.

Iraisok

Re: "Onvoy LLC" landline phone calls

Post by Iraisok » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:28 pm

busy1 wrote:Given the loss of privacy in nomorobo's terms of service, I'm not sure I would subscribe (to nomorobo) even if Ooma were listed as available.
If you are an Ooma Premier customer then you need not create a login to Nomorobo. Even though I include Nomorobo as the 3rd means of blocking telemarketers, I also create a login to Nomorobo to be able to submit crap telemarketers that do make it through.

FYI: I am now down to perhaps 1 crap incoming telemarketer call a week. I left AT&T because I was getting 5 plus per day and they were going into the evening. When one does squeeze through, I just submit to Nomrobo. I'm elated these days!

Ira

utalice

Re: "Onvoy LLC" landline calls

Post by utalice » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:06 am

SS7?
Have you heard the latest on SS7? Malicious, foreign hackers are exploiting SS7 phone systems to spy on US citizens and expose customers data thru wireless phones. It could be that they were calling your phone, not knowing it was a landline.

I have also been getting calls from Onvoy, to the point of where they are calling several times a day and it's driving me crazy. I receive scam calls on a regular basis, blocking all of the numbers and they just keep changing them (spoofing). I answered once because I was fed up, only to talk to a foreign person who was trying to scam me out of my money. One of them said he would kill me if he was in the US. These spoofed calls should be illegal and someone needs to do something about it. The systems we have in place should be able to detect a spoofed call and block them. If systems can detect VPN's they should be able to detect a spoofed call.

Anyway, here's an article on the SS7 exploit:

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... one-users/

OomaDigital

Re: Onvoy LLC VoIP landline phone calls

Post by OomaDigital » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:21 pm

Hi Busy1,

I think Onvoy LLC had discontinued their services and changed over to Inteliquent. But Ooma Premier has the Call Blocking with privacy and multiple ways to block unwanted callers.
For more information check out Ooma Premier here

It does include expanded call-blocking where you can select from three pre-configured protection settings, or build your own customized call blocking profile.
You might also want to learn how to block caller-ID with Ooma, for getting around caller-ID blockers.

Hope that helps! :D