Ooma Smart Door Phone

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
oomamaniacal
Ooma Smart Door Phone

Post by oomamaniacal » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:40 am

My idea for a new Ooma product is an intercom unit for the front door that would replace the doorbell. Whenever the button on the smart door phone is pressed, the house phones would ring, and for Premier and Nest customers, the door intercom call would be forwarded automatically to an external number or to the mobile app when no one is home, so that the homeowner could talk to delivery people or to other people making house calls. Another possible feature could be an automatic camera snapshot taken when the button is pressed and then sent to the Ooma handsets or to a re-designed mobile app.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

southsound

Re: Ooma Smart Door Phone

Post by southsound » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:02 am

Wow! Great idea. Super for safety and would make good use of the existing processing power of our Telo system.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Agent99

Post by Agent99 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:08 am

If you have a Dlink or similar camera set up, it will take a picture of any movement or sound at front door and send you an email.

I currently have mine set up in our attic. It sends me an email if a rodent happens to approach one of the traps we have set up! When we leave for extended time, it will monitor our front door and driveway (day and night). I need to buy another to do the other side of the house. At about $70, great devices! Having the Ooma linked to call instead of using email may work for some.

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:41 pm

southsound wrote:Wow! Great idea. Super for safety and would make good use of the existing processing power of our Telo system.
That leads me to reiterate another suggestion.

I only have one open DECT "slot." So if Ooma does come out with a door phone, I won't be able to also use a Safety phone (which I have been contemplating).

Please add additional DECT capacity in future Telos.
Premier Subscriber
Google Voice Extensions

billcoff

Post by billcoff » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:59 pm

I just installed a Skybell, which does much of the same.
http://www.skybell.com

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:29 pm

billcoff wrote:I just installed a Skybell, which does much of the same.
That looks like a nice design--no batteries needed!

However, I would like it to ring my home phones, instead of just a smart phone app. I don't carry my smart phone around the house like the people in the Skybell video. At this point, I can't imagine that Ooma is not considering or developing something for the front door.
Premier Subscriber
Google Voice Extensions

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:36 pm

I just discovered that Vtech makes a cordless door phone: http://www.vtechphones.com/products/product_detail/2435

Since Ooma uses Vtech equipment, I am hoping that Ooma will soon have its own, smarter version.
Premier Subscriber
Google Voice Extensions

oomg

Post by oomg » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:23 am

oomamaniacal wrote:
billcoff wrote:I just installed a Skybell, which does much of the same.
That looks like a nice design--no batteries needed!

However, I would like it to ring my home phones, instead of just a smart phone app. I don't carry my smart phone around the house like the people in the Skybell video. At this point, I can't imagine that Ooma is not considering or developing something for the front door.

The Skybell will ring your doorbell unless you set the doorbell to silent mode. A few of the FAQs appear below:

What happens to my home doorbell sound?

If you have a wired doorbell, you will still hear the traditional doorbell sound in your home. SkyBell only replaces the doorbell button and you can still enjoy your home’s doorbell chime.

SkyBell’s Silent Mode allows you to turn your home’s doorbell chime on or off from the app. This is found in the individual device settings area of the app.

Can I turn off the doorbell in my house and only receive alerts on my mobile device?

Yes. We call this Silent Mode. This is found in the individual device settings area of the app. You can disable and enable your traditional home doorbell chime at any time.

What if someone knocks on my door?

If you have the SkyBell motion sensor activated, you’ll receive an alert and video feed if someone is at your door for more than 10 seconds. You can also start the audio and video feed from your SkyBell by opening the app and activating the “on-demand” feature.

Will SkyBell let me know if someone is at my door when I am away from home?

Absolutely. As long as you have cellular or WiFi connection, you can see who’s at your front door from just about anywhere in the world.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:03 am

Why still no door phone/camera?
Premier Subscriber
Google Voice Extensions