Please add busy signal

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
tomscot2
Please add busy signal

Post by tomscot2 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:37 am

I recently bought my 90 year old mother-in-law an Ooma system to save her $30+ per month. I did not want to disrupt her life too much so I asked that the voice mail be turned off so that when someone calls the call is answered by her or her standalone voice mail. This way she did not have to learn a new voice mail system. I assumed that if she was on the line, that the caller would get a busy signal. Instead, they get an obscure message about messaging not being available.

I suggest that when voice mail is disabled that the caller either gets a traditional busy signal or a message that says "The phone line is busy, please call back later."

Thanks.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Re: Please add busy signal

Post by Tom » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:42 pm

I disabled voicemail on the telo so now when anyone calls there will be 3 min of ringback before they hear that message. Likely they will have hung up by then.

Whetmore

Post by Whetmore » Thu May 05, 2016 7:16 pm

Searched the Feature Requests section and found only business/office "busy signal" posts. I too would like incoming callers to receive a standard busy signal when I'm on the phone. After having Ooma since November of 2015, I just found out that if I'm on the phone callers just get ringing (I use an external answering machine). Can't be that hard to program an option for a busy signal!!

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri May 06, 2016 10:46 am

There's always many features/improvements competing for resources. Management tries its best to prioritize. It's like emptying a sink with a spoon with the tap dripping. It's not hard, just takes many spoons.

/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17509

dmarcus123

Post by dmarcus123 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:21 am

You're not kidding. Last company I worked for doing software product management we had somewhere around 2300 items in our queue. Prioritizing was fun, especially with marketing, support, and development having very strong views of how to prioritize. CEO called it trying to eat a whale with a pocketknife.

M.P.

Post by M.P. » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:33 pm

I am going to be working from home, taking calls from a live customer support queue. I need to disable call waiting COMPLETELY, including no second call going to voice mail. I need something just like the traditional POTs line (plain old telephone), one call at a time. Otherwise I'll constantly be getting 2 calls at a time. Can't imagine that the customers who get routed to voice mail (and won't get a call back) will be very happy. Help! I keep speaking with ooma reps who assure me my call waiting has been disabled but what they really mean is that my notifications have been disabled. That second call is still going to voice mail. I need NO SECOND CALL at ALL. Is this even possible with ooma or do I need a different phone provider in order to meet my needs?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:24 pm

Currently not possible. There's an open enhancement request. Can argue over which is preferable, a busy tone or a voicemail with callback.