block incoming calls from specific numbers

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
istra
block incoming calls from specific numbers

Post by istra » Sat May 03, 2008 7:58 am

If caller ID of an incoming call is known, it seems like there should be a way to keep the phone from ringing if the call is from a number you wish to have blocked. This would be handy, especially around election season when we get calls morning through night from the same number, which is a survey of one sort or another. I'd like to be able to enter the number I see on caller ID into a list of numbers on the ooma hub. The phone would then not ring when these people call. It could go straight to voicemail, or just give them a busy signal. I don't care as long as the phone doesn't ring.

I imagine it as my very own personal "Do not call" list.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: block incoming calls from specific numbers

Post by Bobby B » Mon May 05, 2008 9:24 am

Hi istra, these are great suggestions. Some of these screening and privacy-type features you describe have already been planned and should be coming with the next set of features - just in time for election season!

-Bobby
istra wrote:If caller ID of an incoming call is known, it seems like there should be a way to keep the phone from ringing if the call is from a number you wish to have blocked. This would be handy, especially around election season when we get calls morning through night from the same number, which is a survey of one sort or another. I'd like to be able to enter the number I see on caller ID into a list of numbers on the ooma hub. The phone would then not ring when these people call. It could go straight to voicemail, or just give them a busy signal. I don't care as long as the phone doesn't ring.

I imagine it as my very own personal "Do not call" list.
Bobby B

tflorin

Post by tflorin » Fri May 09, 2008 6:16 am

I have similar capabilities with Grand Central. Once a number is identified to be blocked, the default message is "the number you are trying to reach is temporarily unavailable, if you've reached the message in error, please try again..." You can also customize messages for specific callers.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Fri May 09, 2008 11:56 am

Yep, there definitely needs to be different call treatment options for unwanted callers. Another option we plan on implementing is the playing of the disconnect tone (sounds like "do-da-dee") which would signal telemarketing engines to remove your number from the calling list.
tflorin wrote:I have similar capabilities with Grand Central. Once a number is identified to be blocked, the default message is "the number you are trying to reach is temporarily unavailable, if you've reached the message in error, please try again..." You can also customize messages for specific callers.
Bobby B