Blacklisting is USELESS!

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
DarylLafferty
Re: Blacklisting is USELESS!

Post by DarylLafferty » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:42 pm

In the 4 years since this posting, Ooma has added blocking by name. And they even allow you to enter the start of a name.

It works pretty well, but there are some irritating exceptions. The original complaint about "Dir Assist" messages is still a problem. I entered "Starts with... Dir Assist" in the block list, but they still come through just like before.

I have the same problem with messages from "Phoenix AZ" and "Cell Phone AZ". I have them listed to be blocked, but they still come through. And so I have to add each number individually, which is whack-a-mole when the sender just spoofs a different phone number each time.

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:05 am

Recheck you options, which now include 'Starts with...', 'Ends with...', 'Equals...' and 'Contains...' (my favorite).

Occams Razor

Post by Occams Razor » Thu May 02, 2019 1:38 pm

A Whitelist would be easiest.

Because these number spoofers are making me block every single number in my area code one-by-one

My whitelist would have about 20 entries, and that would be the end of all the nonsense

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Thu May 02, 2019 1:57 pm

Your contact list is the white list. When 'Block all numbers not in my contacts and...' is checked, only calls from people you approve will get through.

https://support.ooma.com/home/call-bloc ... a-article/

Contacts-only calling

Contacts-only calling is the ultimate protection against unsolicited phone calls. When this option is turned on, your phone will only ring when the incoming caller is on your contact list.
Last edited by TonyW on Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 9194992969 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:17 am

I've had a few instances that a number not in my contact list has rung through - the latest one last night. I checked my contact list and that number is not in my contact list but the phone rang anyway. When I picked up I only heard noises, no one spoke. I have the "custom" choice under blocking preferences and have checked all five selections. Don't know if it's just a glitch in the system or what.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:37 pm

When blocking names like "Phoenix AZ" and "Cell Phone AZ" don't add the state because there's space padding between city and state which you can't see in MyOoma unless you export the call logs. In other words there may be more than one space there.