Blacklisting is USELESS!

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
t15industries
Re: Blacklisting is USELESS!

Post by t15industries » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:01 pm

I have actually had really good luck using the Federal do not call list and also our State do not call list...

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:47 pm

Iraisok wrote:The Caller I.D. and number was "3918".
To block numbers without leading 1 you need to prefix a +, so in this case enter it as e.g +39*

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:26 pm

Non NANPA = Non North American Numbering Plan numbers = non valid area code numbers? "+" is needed followed by first few digits of pattern? If on the other hand, area code is valid, all we need is 206* or 425* to block area codes 206 and 425?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:57 am

I changed my post above. NANPA for the purposes here is 1-nnn-nnn-nnnn, so to block 1-39x you would enter 39*.

Telo_BK

Post by Telo_BK » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:55 am

Tom B wrote:I changed my post above. NANPA for the purposes here is 1-nnn-nnn-nnnn, so to block 1-39x you would enter 39*.
How many entries would be required to block all currently invalid numbers in the NANP? Wouldn't it be better if Ooma did this by default and maintained it as things change? According to last night's news, there's even help from the US governnment to do that, and more coming.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:45 pm

To cover most of invalid area codes, you'd need 10+ wildcard entries. If one is inundated with spam calls, use the tools already available with Ooma Premier. Do something about it now. You have the power.

Enable Community Blacklist.
Enable Expanded Blacklist.
Enable Personal Blacklist and use wildcard entries.

Within personal blacklist:

Block all toll free numbers if you want via a few entries.
Block invalid area code numbers 10+ entries to cover most.
Consolidate explicit entries collected over time to block entire offending area codes.
Consolidate explicit entries collected over time to block area code + prefix + 1 more digit for local and neighboring area codes.

Choose treatment option "send to voicemail" so legit calls can leave a message.
Details: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14774&start=20#p108473

slantyyz

Post by slantyyz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:56 pm

This seems like an overly complex answer to a problem that has been solved by other providers. I am pretty sure that most Asterisk based phone systems support this.

The problem with OOMA's blacklists is that there are no whitelist rules.

My previous VOIP provider let me set up whitelists (i.e. only my contacts could avoid being sent to voicemail) and it was very effective. All I had to do was send all calls to voicemail by default, and add the phone numbers (or wildcard patterns) for my contacts that I wanted to allow through. The whitelist entries had priority over the blacklist rules. Easy peasy.

My phone used to ring maybe once a week on my last provider, and that would be from someone I _wanted_ to receive a call from. With OOMA it rings several times a week (all junk calls), and it sends my dogs into a barking frenzy. So the lack of this feature is a literal headache. I guess this is what I get for wanting to save $10 a month.

For what it's worth, I know OOMA has at least considered this feature, since it was in a "would you like this feature" question in a survey that I was sent.

--edit

Also, that OOMA's blacklisting is years ahead -- you have got to be kidding me. My old VOIP provider used old, never updated software and it is leaps and bounds better than OOMA's.
Last edited by slantyyz on Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:00 pm

Who was your previous VoIP provider? How many entries did they allow in Whitelist and if not using Whitelist, what were the limitations on Blacklist? How many entries in Blacklist allowed and if wildcard is allowed. If wildcard, what kind of wildcard? All 10 digit filterable? Did they allow Blacklist via Caller ID name? Since you mentioned "better," need to share more info on how "better."

slantyyz

Post by slantyyz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:05 pm

Primus Canada. It had a limit of 255 entries if I recall correctly. I was paying around $25/mo vs the equivalent of $14/mo.

The software was --old--, and the UI was clunky. The wildcard system was more intuitive than the +1## system that OOMA uses.

I've set up Asterisk based PBX's before, and most system software offers whitelisting. It's not even remotely new. Phone systems are pretty old tech, and most common problems have been solved by most of the big players.

OOMA's blacklist does what it's told. It requires way too much work on the account holder.

slantyyz

Post by slantyyz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:15 pm

lbmofo wrote:Since you mentioned "better," need to share more info on how "better."
How about this.

1 entry to block all inbound calls (i.e., send to voicemail, or even just hang up)
1 entry per person to allow (wildcards allowed) - you could direct the call in the same way most phone systems allow - hangup, vm, follow-me/forward

If you have a fairly static contacts list like me, you're talking about a one-time "set it and forget it" session of less than an hour.

You were allowed to name each entry whatever you wanted. OOMA's picky about how you name them - some special characters are prohibited.

Compared to Primus, I have to update my blacklist regularly with OOMA. There are four area codes in the Greater Toronto area, and telemarketers use --all-- of them. You can't just block the area codes, you have to enter wildcards at the exchange level, i.e. 3-4 numbers deep to ensure that legitimate callers puncture the blacklist. SO in that regard, Primus' inbound call management system is LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than OOMA.

-- edit

Forgot to mention, I could block by caller ID name too, with wildcards