Does Ooma use SIP (Session Initiation Protocol)?

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
av8rdude
Re: Does Ooma use SIP (Session Initiation Protocol)?

Post by av8rdude » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:04 am

You can accomplish your goal of WIFI or 3g SIP calls by exploring Gizmo5 and their integration with Google Voice.

I currently have a client on my WM6.1 phone that uses the SIP settings for my Gizmo5 account: fring.com

Also, I have a Linksys ATA2102 setup with my gizmo SIP settings to make VOIP calls via google voice....

gizmo5/google voice sounds like what you are looking for.

Cheers,
Scott

flapjack

Post by flapjack » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:25 am

Yes, I've read up on that. Last I heard, however, was that gizmo5 has been limiting call length. If I'm not mistaken, it's down to something ridiculous like 3 minutes now...
av8rdude wrote:You can accomplish your goal of WIFI or 3g SIP calls by exploring Gizmo5 and their integration with Google Voice.

I currently have a client on my WM6.1 phone that uses the SIP settings for my Gizmo5 account: fring.com

Also, I have a Linksys ATA2102 setup with my gizmo SIP settings to make VOIP calls via google voice....

gizmo5/google voice sounds like what you are looking for.

Cheers,
Scott

av8rdude

Post by av8rdude » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:37 am

You can get around the 3 minute limit by going to your google voice page and placing the call online. Google voice will then call the phone of your choice (gizmo sip) and then connect your call. It works great. But you have to use a computer or your web browser on your phone to initiate the call....

flapjack

Post by flapjack » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:52 am

That can be done via a WM phone, of course... but it's a bit of a PITA.

I'll have to experiment with it. Thanks.
av8rdude wrote:You can get around the 3 minute limit by going to your google voice page and placing the call online. Google voice will then call the phone of your choice (gizmo sip) and then connect your call. It works great. But you have to use a computer or your web browser on your phone to initiate the call....

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:43 pm

flapjack wrote:but I'd like to understand why you seem so against Ooma opening up SIP for advanced users. I'd even be willing to sign up for the premium package to get this functionality. I just don't see a reasonable business argument to NOT allow this functionality, though I'm willing to debate the issue.

Why aren't other VoIP providers doing this as well then? I think you already know the answer to your question.

If this is something that you want, there are companies that you can pay to do this.

flapjack

Post by flapjack » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:40 am

lohertz wrote:Why aren't other VoIP providers doing this as well then? I think you already know the answer to your question.

If this is something that you want, there are companies that you can pay to do this.
Ooma has a slightly different business model (Pay for hardware, service is free. Or pay for premium features).

I guess I was hoping Ooma would be a little more progressive. Not saying they won't... just keeping my fingers crossed. It's a good thing Ooma employees are in the forums. Hopefully that translates into better features/options.

I've already stated that if open SIP was a "premium" option, I'd pay for it. But you're recommending I go find "other VoIP providers" that provide this option. I'm in the Ooma forums, asking questions about how to get the most of the service and you're discouraging me from doing that by referring me to other providers?

That would be no different than me logging into a Chevy forum and telling everyone to buy a different brand, because a Chevy won't do what I want it to.

I'm not sure how that is productive at all... especially with a lot of Ooma's features still "to be determined".

southsound

Post by southsound » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:50 pm

flapjack wrote:
lohertz wrote:Why aren't other VoIP providers doing this as well then? I think you already know the answer to your question.

That would be no different than me logging into a Chevy forum and telling everyone to buy a different brand, because a Chevy won't do what I want it to.

I'm not sure how that is productive at all... especially with a lot of Ooma's features still "to be determined".
That is one of the real benefits of this forum. The users, like yourself, are able to offer unbiased help including recommending another supplier if that is in the best interests of the customer. Granted, Bobby Biswal and Dennis Peng, both ooma superstars, read the forums. They do it to get a pulse of what is being asked for or causing a problem and to step in when they can add something from an official standpoint. Most of us want ooma to succeed wildly - and we would not do something that would hurt the company. But we also know that no company can be all things to all people and still survive. That's why I often recommend using Google Voice to add some funtionality that ooma lacks. In time, the Premier Extensions for GV will make the meld seemless - but today I can use what works. The same for your needs. ooma makes a great hardware based solution - but until they decide they want to open their platform some will find their solutions elsewhere. You probably won't find that on a Chevy forum, but look at the difficulty the car industry is having. Maybe if each vendor did their best to help the consumer it would blossom again. Kind of like when Kris Kringle recommended Macy's customers shop at other stores in Miracle on 34th Street (the original version, of course). YMMV :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

flapjack

Post by flapjack » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:34 pm

southsound wrote:That is one of the real benefits of this forum. The users, like yourself, are able to offer unbiased help including recommending another supplier if that is in the best interests of the customer. Granted, Bobby Biswal and Dennis Peng, both ooma superstars, read the forums. They do it to get a pulse of what is being asked for or causing a problem and to step in when they can add something from an official standpoint. Most of us want ooma to succeed wildly - and we would not do something that would hurt the company. But we also know that no company can be all things to all people and still survive. That's why I often recommend using Google Voice to add some funtionality that ooma lacks. In time, the Premier Extensions for GV will make the meld seemless - but today I can use what works. The same for your needs. ooma makes a great hardware based solution - but until they decide they want to open their platform some will find their solutions elsewhere. You probably won't find that on a Chevy forum, but look at the difficulty the car industry is having. Maybe if each vendor did their best to help the consumer it would blossom again. Kind of like when Kris Kringle recommended Macy's customers shop at other stores in Miracle on 34th Street (the original version, of course). YMMV :cool:
Well, like I said, I'm hoping Ooma will be different than other providers. Heck, they already are... but this is something big. You mention GV coming out, and that's huge. This market is changing so quickly. Google is, in a way, forcing an overhaul. Not to even mention the economy... The companies left standing will not be the ones that cling to old models for generating revenue. Better to be proactive than reactive, as far as I'm concerned.

Just think about T-Mobile users. Fav 5? Right now, I could switch to T-Mobile, put my Google Voice number as one of my Fav 5, and use the GVDialer on my Windows phone to dial all my calls. No messing around with SIP or anything. What is T-Mobile gonna do... block Google Voice calls?

Things are changing. We already pay for broadband internet. To me, phone calls are something that should not be charged for. I've felt that way for a long time. That movement is growing stronger. If you want to pay for a hardwired POTS line and have calling ability that is arguably more reliable than VoIP, I understand. There are markets this will never affect. My grandmother will never use VoIP. She doesn't even have a computer. But there are others who want to make the most of what they pay for the internet. I'm one of them.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:41 pm

I guess that means we will eventually have to bail out the failed telco companies!
NOT!

Wayne

flapjack

Post by flapjack » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:01 pm

WayneDsr wrote:I guess that means we will eventually have to bail out the failed telco companies!
NOT!

Wayne
That would really suck. I wouldn't be surprised, though. You heard about the radio stations (read: Clear Channel Radio) asking for bailout money now? Wow.