Does Ooma use SIP (Session Initiation Protocol)?

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
southsound
Re: Does Ooma use SIP (Session Initiation Protocol)?

Post by southsound » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:44 pm

If anybody wants to buy some NorTel stock, I've got a bunch I'd sell REAL cheap. :razz:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:42 pm

flapjack wrote:
I've already stated that if open SIP was a "premium" option, I'd pay for it. But you're recommending I go find "other VoIP providers" that provide this option. I'm in the Ooma forums, asking questions about how to get the most of the service and you're discouraging me from doing that by referring me to other providers?

That would be no different than me logging into a Chevy forum and telling everyone to buy a different brand, because a Chevy won't do what I want it to.

I'm not sure how that is productive at all... especially with a lot of Ooma's features still "to be determined".
I was merely pointing out the fact that you seemed rescind to the fact that you should be able to get this, like you were entitled.

If that is something you really desire, there are options for you to get it, was my point.

I keep an open mind as to what people want for various reasons, people will do whatever, and I can't control that.

Besides, sometimes, a certain product is right for one person and not another. Some people don't like the idea of a VoIP phone. Some people keep the landline because the feel more secure, as well as a cell phone.

For me, I pay enough money to the telco just to have my cell phone, they dont need anymore money for a landline. But others dont feel that.

flapjack

Post by flapjack » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:00 pm

lohertz wrote:I was merely pointing out the fact that you seemed rescind to the fact that you should be able to get this, like you were entitled.

If that is something you really desire, there are options for you to get it, was my point.

I keep an open mind as to what people want for various reasons, people will do whatever, and I can't control that.

Besides, sometimes, a certain product is right for one person and not another. Some people don't like the idea of a VoIP phone. Some people keep the landline because the feel more secure, as well as a cell phone.

For me, I pay enough money to the telco just to have my cell phone, they dont need anymore money for a landline. But others dont feel that.
You thinking I'm acting like I'm "entitled" to something is simply your opinion, based on what you've read. If you re-read all my posts, you'll see I said "I hope", or "it would be nice" if Ooma opened up SIP. I never once said "I'm paying for VoIP that uses SIP. I'm entitled to use SIP to my own ends". I actually take a bit of offense to this, as I'd like to see some discussion as to why this isn't an option, and if it ever WILL be.

I agree with you about people desiring landlines over VoIP (and vice-versa). I think I even made that point myself a few posts back. What I was getting at is that not everyone will be setting up an asterisk server or using SIP to it's fullest extent. If Ooma were to open up SIP to certain users, 1) they'd know which ones to watch (for abuse), and 2) it probably would only be a small fraction of their users anyways.

So basically, to summarize (and stop the insults):

- Ooma uses SIP
- Ooma doesn't open SIP up to its users
- What are the reasons why? (profitability, security, etc...)
- Are there ways to address these issues, so SIP (and VoIP) can GROW like it should and not be choked to death? (POTS circuits suck in comparison, and should not still, to this day, be the defacto standard in voice-to-voice communications).

Ooma, as a newer service, who is already admittedly considering making some changes (GV, for example), could really open this thing wide. A partnership with GV is more than a start. It's a great thing. If they can find a way to forward (and possibly lead) this inevitable phone technology revolution, they stand to profit. That'll be up to them to figure out how. We can figure out how to get more out of our VoIP service and our Internet connection (which sits mostly idle for most users) if we're given the tools (or permission) to do so.

Thoughts? Wait... "constructive" thoughts?

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:32 am

ooma uses an encrypted vpn tunnel from the hub to an ooma server. To me that implies that there is no way for the current ooma firmware to make a connection anywhere other than an ooma server. Could they change it? Probably, but only their design team knows if they could or would want to.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

flapjack

Post by flapjack » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:20 am

murphy wrote:ooma uses an encrypted vpn tunnel from the hub to an ooma server. To me that implies that there is no way for the current ooma firmware to make a connection anywhere other than an ooma server. Could they change it? Probably, but only their design team knows if they could or would want to.
I understand how it works, but thanks for the explanation. It could obviously be changed. These are just ideas. If Ooma never implements anything SIP-related for its end users, it's not like I'm gonna leave. I understand what I signed up for. When I saw the GV extensions news release, I got excited, that's all.

doug

Post by doug » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:36 am

flapjack wrote:So basically, to summarize (and stop the insults):

- Ooma uses SIP
- Ooma doesn't open SIP up to its users
- What are the reasons why?
I am just a user too, so take my response with a healthy grain of salt. But I think I read somewhere that Ooma uses a customized, licensed version of Asterik and not the open source version. Among the changes are tunneling and encryption done in the hub. I think one of the side effects of that (but not its main purpose) effectively means "standard" ATA's and SIP related stuff is not compatible with the Ooma servers. Ditto for soft phones.

In other words, I don't think knowing the SIP information would help even if you had it. At least with the current Ooma server software.

I don't pretend to know enough about SIP or Asterik or their customizations to understand how easy it would be for Ooma to also allow connections from a user-provided ATA or IP Phone or soft phone be it running on a computer or mobile device.

My take is that Ooma isn't so much trying to make it difficult or impossible to enable that, as it is they have limited resources and need to first focus on the current hardware and Telo units. I can respect that, because as you note, it would likely be a small subset of the customer base who would take advantage of the availability. So concentrating efforts on those portions that everyone can benefit from makes sense to me until they have matured to where more resources are available for things of this nature.

Just my .02, and may not reflect reality at all.

jm9496

Post by jm9496 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:22 am

If I remember reading one of the news pieces correctly, the Telo makes the switch from Asterisk to Freeswitch. Freeswitch is under MPL. So while propritary source files are premitted, a bulk of the source will be released.

flapjack

Post by flapjack » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:05 pm

@doug

Interesting point. I don't know much about the technical implementation of Ooma, so thanks for that.

@jm9496
Very interesting.

but2002

Post by but2002 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:15 pm

I want SIP simply so I could use my ooma telephone number from my computer. I'm constantly in voice chats with other people with headphones on my head, and it would be an added convenience to answer calls with my computer, as well as make them without having to reach for the telephone (Which is a room away)

flapjack

Post by flapjack » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:27 pm

but2002 wrote:I want SIP simply so I could use my ooma telephone number from my computer. I'm constantly in voice chats with other people with headphones on my head, and it would be an added convenience to answer calls with my computer, as well as make them without having to reach for the telephone (Which is a room away)
Either that or a "soft phone" you can use, like Cisco has.