Yet another whitelist request

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Tom
Ooma Moderator
Re: Yet another whitelist request

Post by Tom » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Any blocking feature added can be turned off. This is FCC requirement.

selpats

Post by selpats » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:31 am

I concur that a white list is needed but for a different reason. I am unable to receive a callback from my electric supplier because someone had the number added to the community blacklist. I would like to see a personal white list where the incoming number is compared to the personal white list numbers before it gets filtered by the black lists. That way if a person gets a number blacklisted because they are tired of collection calls due to not paying their bill I'll still be able to receive my callback. The only way I can talk to my energy company (City Public Service ((CPS) 210-353-2222) is to have them call me back, and of course the call back is blocked!

Thanks for your consideration in this mater.

nls775

Post by nls775 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:58 pm

This is highly disappointing. I didn't think to check that this feature was available before I bought mine today. Every IP phone service I've used in the last 5 years has had an option to block all numbers except for a "whitelist" or "allow" list. I have about 10 numbers that should be able to call this number and the rest should be blocked (or at least sent straight to VM). During political season this is even more necessary.

The even more disappointing thing is the response from Ooma on this request. The moderator response pointing to another forum on the same topic answers nothing about this request. That post does not confirm if this feature is even on the development roadmap let alone any sort of ETA. The response is non-existent considering how many forum posts are dedicated to both the necessity of whitelisting individual callers from the community and expanded blacklists and only allowing specific numbers to call. Same goes for the request to even see what numbers were blocked in the call log - no Ooma response since a 2008 post saying that it was coming?

This does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about Ooma as a company or the pace at which this product is improved. I will be returning this product and sticking with older less featured service that has had a whitelist feature for many years.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:09 pm

Little point doing press releases if the word is out on the forum already. Announcements are typically made as CES approaches.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:17 pm

for update and press release viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20424

JohnChPeck

Post by JohnChPeck » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:22 am

Add another vote for phone whitelist numbers. My problem is that a friend always gets one ring & a hangup. Not sure if this is a blacklist problem or just an ooma bug. Certainly looks like I should cancel premier, if not switch to another provider. What use is a phone if friends can't call you?

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:52 am

The 'whitelist' feature has been available for quite some time, now... with Premier service.

https://my.ooma.com/preferences/call_blocking

See the 'Block all numbers not in my contacts and...' option.

With this enabled, only callers on your contact list ring the phone. The rest receive whatever treatment you specify... 'Send to Voicemail'?

Your friends hang-up problem MAY be a carrier issue which should be handled by a call/chat with support..