Yet another whitelist request

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
relix10
Yet another whitelist request

Post by relix10 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:55 pm

We REALLY need a whitelist option. If you exclude the same 5 of 6 expected calls that I get, 99% of the incoming calls are robocalls. I have nomobo turned on and use all the available features, but the phone number they call from changes every 12 hours. At best I'll get 2 calls from a number before it changes. What's the point of a blacklist?

If you won't do whitelist, how about more intelligent blacklisting.

Half my robocalls come in the form: (xxx)NNN-NNxx where x is random and N matches my phone number. I'd love to block those.

I do get to have some fun, give this a try. Press 1 to get an operator. Grab 2 portable handsets and activate both of them. When a human answers, put the 2 phones head to toe, it will create a feedback loop that will hurt your ears but do much worse to them.

GeorgeR

Re: Yet another whitelist request

Post by GeorgeR » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:31 pm

I second the need for a whitelist. Numbers are constantly changed so blacklists are pointless.
I am a premier member specifically for the blacklist. Now that I see how useless that feature is, I may just go back to basic service.

I receive calls with similar parts of my phone number as stated.

I also receive a fair number with a city/state as the caller ID. It would be helpful to block city/state id's.

Thanks.

ottawagrant

Post by ottawagrant » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:32 am

I am a basic Ooma subscriber. I see no reason to be a Premier subscriber when features like this are not available. Telemarketers, robocalls, & scammers are the scourge of the 21st Century. Area codes 000 to 199 don't exist, yet they are not blocked by default. In North America the prefix of a phone number cannot start with a '0' or a '1', also not blocked. If Ooma blocked invalid phone numbers by default, we'd be off to a good start. I wish there was some way to get Ooma to realize how much MORE business they would get with a good whitelist/blacklist feature. Who wouldn't pay $10 bucks a month for total control over the calls they get?

Stelcom66

Post by Stelcom66 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:04 am

I would be nice to have Whitelist numbers provide a distinctive ring pattern.

byebyeATT

Post by byebyeATT » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:48 pm

Hear hear on the white list! :)

It's been requested on these forums since 2009 or 2010.

I brought it up once again 2 years ago myself. Seems like it will never happen at this point. :cry: Very disappointing, Ooma!

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:03 pm

tracicollins

Post by tracicollins » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:03 pm

A whitelist is the only effective way to cut out robocalls and phone spam. Add my voice to all the others.

JimInBoulder

Post by JimInBoulder » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:31 pm

OK, Ooma, I like you but you *really* must do something about call screening or a whitelist. I get a call almost everyday from "the IRS" stating that I am going to get into trouble...I know these are scams because the IRS only contacts taxpayers by postal mail.

Why the hell can't you implement a system that I had with Qwest five years ago? With it, if someone not in my whitelist called, they received a recorded message saying that I don't accept telemarketing calls, and required the push of "1" on their phone to continue to ring my phone. I had *no* spam calls with them.

Despite the higher cost, I'm ready to switch path to CenturyLink (who bought Qwest) to avoid getting once-a-day or more fraudulent phone calls. Why the hell don't you listen to your customers after we've been asking for a whitelist for five years or more?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:51 am

see 8/6 post above

ottawagrant

Post by ottawagrant » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:12 am

Every time a call blocking feature is requested Admin seems to come back with the same generic answer. 'What if you actually want the call?'. Well? WHAT if we don't? Don't you think it would be nice to give the customers the choice as to whether they want the call blocking/white listing feature or not? Ooma reminds me of Henry Ford's 'Model T'. You can have any color of car you want so long as it's black, because that's all we offer. It's astounding that a business that want's your business doesn't listen to its customers needs, and then implement it.