Different recorded VM greeting for contacts vs. unknowns

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
spacecat56
Different recorded VM greeting for contacts vs. unknowns

Post by spacecat56 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:19 pm

Finally you have "contacts as whitelist" and I am ditching my landline and old wired call blocker and porting my number. Hurrah!

Of course, we always want more...

I'm set up for all blocking features. Only contacts will ring. All three blacklists I have set to get the "blocked" message. I'm still thinking about anonymous... I had them set to voicemail, but then I saw that the "Call Blocked Message" transmitted to anons is NOT THE SAME as the "Call Blocked Message" given to recognized blacklisted numbers [AHEM to reveal the fact that they are different you should call them by: different names] (see http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 0d#p137389). So I may leave anons "blocked" rather than straight to voicemail.

At least "unknowns" (numbers neither blacklisted nor whitelisted) and also my whitelisted contacts when I am not home, and possibly anons if I let them go to VM, will get the SAME voicemail greeting. I feel very strongly that that is not ideal and can be improved upon. What I want is to be able to record two greetings for voicemail, and use the optional second greeting for any non-whitelisted callers. On the Call Blocking Preferences page this would appear as an additional option adjacent to "Send to Voicemail": "Send to Voicemail (Alternate Greeting)".

My reasoning is this:
  • When my contacts reach voicemail I'd like them to hear a short friendly greeting.
    Almost all non-contact callers that call me are junk calls, so I absolutely do not want the phone to ring.
    A few of them are legit calls from new contacts or people with new numbers, so I want to give them a chance via voicemail.
    But not much of a chance, since the odds are so low. I don't want to include my name, and I do want to emit a longer m
essage directing any telemarketers, pollsters, missionaries, people with valuable information, etc. to stop calling.

RH_WS

Re: Different recorded VM greeting for contacts vs. unknowns

Post by RH_WS » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:45 am

[LIKE!]