Telo Upgrade needed to support Gigabit Internet Security

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Bobbiedean
Telo Upgrade needed to support Gigabit Internet Security

Post by Bobbiedean » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:23 am

I am interested in subscribing to Ooma's Internet Security. Unfortunately our Telo only has 10/100 Mbps ethernet ports which would severely limit our 1000 Mbps fiber service if placed in front of the router.

With entry into cloud based internet security will Ooma be releasing a new Telo with Gigabit ports in the near future?

oomamaniacal

Re: Telo Upgrade needed to support Gigabit Internet Security

Post by oomamaniacal » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:14 pm

Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

GrayWolf

Post by GrayWolf » Wed May 17, 2017 11:06 am

Bump. This definitely needs to happen sooner-than-later. It's not smart to sell a service that will negatively impact users with ISP Service that is rated for faster than 100Mbps.

Certo

Post by Certo » Fri May 19, 2017 10:45 pm

Hey Ooma, when will you bring out a gigabit capable device and will your internet security solution work at that speed too?

Thanks

ObiQuiet

Post by ObiQuiet » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:51 pm

This definitely needs to happen sooner-than-later. It's not smart to sell a service that will negatively impact users with ISP Service that is rated for faster than 100Mbps.
It's smart if the addressable market for 1GB < 100MB. Even if the 1GB market was larger, you'd have to offset the revenue with the development and support costs of another hardware device.

Plus, it's smart not to invest until one sees what the uptake rate is for the 100MB product, which has a very low marginal cost for both the consumer and the vendor.

sabretooth02

Post by sabretooth02 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:53 am

You will never use Gbit speed anyway. Doesn't need it. Your computers don't even use it.

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:34 am

UM... not sure how valid that statement is. A 100Mb/s interface will deliver ~80% +/- throughput... ~80Mb/s & ISP packages well in excess of that are becoming ubiquitous. Why invest in equipment unable to perform to network limits?

Now, until this specific requirement to have all traffic run through the Ooma device, this was a moot point. I'll keep my Telo behind the router & rely on other means of internet security, as I believe most in this circumstance will, until hardware is more capable.

BTW This is, by no means, a swat at Ooma... just the facts.

sabretooth02

Post by sabretooth02 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:55 am

I'm just saying that it won't make your videos faster. Your web pages won't really load any faster. You only need about 9Mbit/sec to show 1080p streaming vidoes per person in a household. They won't go any faster.

Now if you have 5 people in your house that are downloading movies and games 24 hours a day, yeah maybe. But a 15 sec download vs a 3 min movie download is not worth the money.

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:19 am

Of course, situational.

Just sensitive to this case... long ago, I worked for company that made routers with all manner of nifty features, but hardware was limited to a 10Mb/s, half-duplex connection & the world had long-since moved to 100Mb/s (FULL-duplex!) Sales were just not there (for reasons obvious to most...except to the people who made the decisions). I'd rather see Ooma avoid this as they continue to innovate. YMMV