Need to send my own area code and exchange to voicemail

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
peabody
Need to send my own area code and exchange to voicemail

Post by peabody » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:32 pm

I have my personal blacklist set to ring continuously, and I'd like to keep it that way. But now that the telemarketers and scammers are spoofing caller ID so that their calls all appear to come from my neighborhood, almost all calls I get from my own area code and exchange are bogus. There's no way to block them because the number changes on every call.

So I'd like to see an option to send all such "local" calls directly to voicemail without ringing my phone. If it's a rare case of someone I know, I can add them to a whitelist.

I'd say 90% of the calls that ring through now ID from my exchange, and of course they never leave a message. I'd just like to not be disturbed by the phone ringing.

holmes4

Re: Need to send my own area code and exchange to voicemail

Post by holmes4 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:44 pm

What is the point of setting the blacklist to ring continuously? Just send them to voicemail - most won't leave one. I do this and have a wildcard in the blacklist to my area code and exchange - works great.

You might want to also look into Jolly Roger Telephone Co, - I use this and it's great!
Steve

peabody

Post by peabody » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:33 pm

My personal blacklist is largely made up of callers who DO leave voicemail that I don't want to listen to. That's why it's set to ring continuously. I'd just like to be able to leave that as it is, but still direct my own area code and exchange to voicemail.

Stelcom66

Post by Stelcom66 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:07 am

I also have my blacklist numbers ring continuously, I don't want those calls leaving voicemails. I have a text alert for voicemail to my cellphone. Even though I have the minimum voicemail duration set to a few seconds many times a brief voicemail message of silence or a click will be recorded when the caller disconnects.

testy

Post by testy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:07 pm

Hi there Holmes4,

I like the idea of Jolly Roger, it sounds very helpful. I am not ultra tech savvy, could you please write a brief tutorial on how I would connect the J.R. service to my Ooma setup?

Thanks for your post..................

holmes4

Post by holmes4 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:22 pm

First, you need the Premier service as it relies on Simultaneous Ring. If you have that, see http://www.jollyrogertelco.com/how-to-u ... us-ringing But this won't work for these faked caller IDs automatically.
Steve