Ringless Voicemail Blocking?

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Texas47
Ringless Voicemail Blocking?

Post by Texas47 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:44 am

I wonder...Does Ooma have any plans to address blocking the new technology of Ringless Voicemail?

First we had the do not call list. Then we added Nomorobo. I ported my land line to Ooma Premier specifically for the call blocking features. Unscrupulous telemarketers continue to hide behind spoofed numbers. Now we have Ringless Voicemail with spoofed numbers. The few nuisance calls/voicemails that got through were tolerable. But now I'm getting numerous Ringless Voicemails daily. Each one sends an email notification to me (a feature I used to like.) So now I have junk email voicemail spam to clear, as well as on the Ooma telo when I get home. This makes the Premier service almost worthless without a way to block the new technology. And no, I don't have any blocking features set to send calls to voicemail. I don't see anywhere that I can turn off the voicemail feature either.

I really don't want to drop my home phone line, but if this new technology isn't avoidable I will be considering cancelling my Premier service and dropping my phone number.

murphy

Re: Ringless Voicemail Blocking?

Post by murphy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:02 am

You have configured your Telo to do that. Change your call blocking features to do something other than send to voicemail. Blocked calls do not ring.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Texas47

Post by Texas47 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:20 am

Murph, read my post. I HAVE NOT configured my telo to do that. (I have configured it to ring continuously.) Google Ringless Voicemail.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:31 am

I had not heard of that. You can ask Tom B to disable your voicemail.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Texas47

Post by Texas47 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:50 am

I could, but that really defeats the purpose of only allowing numbers in my contact list to contact me. So back to my original question, does Ooma have any plans to address blocking the new technology?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:26 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21057 Reason for the voicemail you're receiving is a bug in the ringback call blocking treatment. A fix will be deployed in the next couple of weeks or so. Meanwhile you can select a different treatment.

Texas47

Post by Texas47 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:52 am

Tom, thanks for the reply. By ringback treatment are you are talking about custom ring tones on the Telo setup? (I don't see anything like that on my Ooma account page.) If that's the case, and since I currently have no custom ringtone, I need to create one, correct?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:31 pm

on the Call Blocking page the treatment is called 'Ring Continuously'

Texas47

Post by Texas47 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:25 pm

Got it-thank you for the clarification.

gullwing

Post by gullwing » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:00 pm

Tom B.

Thank you very much for posting what the problem is with call blocking.

Hopefully the fix will be sooner rather then later.

Thanks again

Ivan