Gigabit Ethernet Please

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
agbiggs
Re: Gigabit Ethernet Please

Post by agbiggs » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:08 pm

I recently traded my old Ooma Hub for the Tell Air, hoping it would work wirelessly and I could clear some boxes off my desk. I don't know whether it's because the Tell is connecting to my router via WiFi or if it's because the Tell is after the router while the Hub was pre-router, but if I watch steaming video in my TV while on the phone, the phone sound sound quality goes to shit. And I've got 100mbs internet. That sucks.

andyross

Post by andyross » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:29 am

You need to check if your router has a QoS (Quality of Service) option and set the Ooma to have a higher priority and/or fixed minimum bandwidth.

agbiggs

Post by agbiggs » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:27 am

Thanks -- I'll check on this.

agbiggs

Post by agbiggs » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:05 am

Google WiFi (which is otherwise good) allows QOS priority, but only for up to 4 hours at a time. That's not so helpful, but maybe they'll change it. Thx.

bobpickering

Post by bobpickering » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:28 am

The Ooma Telo Quick Start Guide says, “Installing the Telo between your modem and router will result in the best voice quality. This setup allows Ooma to prioritize your phone calls over other network traffic. Don’t worry, (sic) this won’t slow down your Internet connection.” Wrong! Installing the Telo between your modem and router will throttle your service down to 100 Mb/s. Ooma: If you’re not going to give us Gigabit ports, at least correct your documentation to stop suggesting that people hook up their Telo incorrectly.
Customer since April, 2011
First Generation Telo (DMZ)
Three HD2 handsets

GarbiSmash

Post by GarbiSmash » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:46 am

Why on gods green earth do you want gigabit on your Ooma?! Do you realize how little bandwidth VOIP uses? If you are getting jitter on your home network, you've done something wrong.

I also wouldn't trust Ooma as my security gateway, not exactly it's forte.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:24 am

They want gigabit on the Ooma because they have it between their modem and their router. I put mine behind my router 10 years ago.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

SpynCycle

Post by SpynCycle » Sat May 11, 2019 12:58 pm

I too tried placing the Ooma device between the modem and the router, not for quality, but so that in case of a router failure, I would still have phone service.
It worked, but it limited my download speed to 100 Mbs, so I moved it back behind the router.
Mine is an older device I bought used off eBay, so I assumed that the newer devices would have gig speed ports, I guess not.

dlherrin

Post by dlherrin » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:46 am

I am late to this conversation. Until yesterday I had 100 Mbps service from my ISP (Comcast) so I was blissfully unaware of this issue. Now that I have upgraded my ISP ethernet service to 600 Mbps I was surprised to see that my speed tests were still showing a max download speed of 100 Mbps. Since my upload speed went from 5 MBps to 10 Mbps I was fairly certain I was seeing my upgraded service in action, but there was a bottleneck somewhere limiting my speed to 100 Mbps. This discussion in the forum confirms that ooma is that bottleneck.

There is a lot of debate here about ooma first v. router first. My first impulse was to buy a gigabit ethernet switch and attach that to the cable modem — then plug the ooma and router into that. Everyone gets fast ethernet and the switch prioritizes things. Our ooma is not really used that much, other than to provide legacy phone number connectivity, and so I don't see a problem with other devices on the home network stealing bandwidth from the ooma.

D.L. Herrington
Belle Mead, New Jersey

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:54 am

Unless you are paying your ISP for more than one IP address a switch connected to the modem is useless.
Put the Telo behind your router and don't connect anything to its Home port.
Both of mine have been behind the router since 2009.

The Telo gets what it needs and the rest of your devices can take advantage of the higher speed.

My router says that I have 77 devices on line at the moment.
There is no way I would want that traffic going through the Telo.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx