Downstream bandwidth affected

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
yunski
Downstream bandwidth affected

Post by yunski » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:11 pm

I have a problem when I have the ooma hub connected to the ooma splitter connected to the dsl line. My download speed drops considerably from more than 2.5kbps to 400kbps or less. This is annoying because I get choppy streaming video via the internet. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this problem? What is eating up all this download bandwidth?

Fernando

trim81

Re: Downstream bandwidth affected

Post by trim81 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:02 pm

yunski wrote:I have a problem when I have the ooma hub connected to the ooma splitter connected to the dsl line. My download speed drops considerably from more than 2.5kbps to 400kbps or less. This is annoying because I get choppy streaming video via the internet. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this problem? What is eating up all this download bandwidth?

Fernando
In your Ooma, adjust your QOS settings

yunski

Post by yunski » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:19 am

Can you tell me what I have to adjust in the Qoss setting? I am not very knowledgeable in this kind of settings. Thanks.

Fernando

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:43 pm

Hi Fernando,

I'd give the support team a call - you definitely shouldn't see your download speed drop by that much. Possible causes could include a connection problem with the DSL modem or the link between the Hub and the modem. We can try experimenting with a couple different configurations to get to the root of the problem.

Thanks,
Bobby
Bobby B

yunski

Post by yunski » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:09 pm

I gave the support team a call and he wasn't any help. He just said to play with the QoS setting and see what happens. By the way does having an integrated modem/router have anything to do with the degradation of downstream speed since I can't set up the ooma Hub between the modem and the router. If that is the case, is there anything I can do? Thanks in advance.

Fernando

trim81

Post by trim81 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:29 pm

yunski wrote:Can you tell me what I have to adjust in the Qoss setting? I am not very knowledgeable in this kind of settings. Thanks.

Fernando
Information on how to place your Ooma in DMZ here:

http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=206

Mojo
Ooma Moderator

Post by Mojo » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:34 pm

Hi Fernando,

A few questions:

1. How are you testing your bandwidth? Can you run your bandwidth tests at speedtest.net (in my experience it's been the most reliable) and record the upstream and downstream bandwidth?

2. How is your bandwidth affected when you disable all QoS settings (just type 0 for both downstream and upstream QoS bandwidth in ooma setup).

3. Are you running speedtests in the following configurations?

[computer] -- [modem/router]

AND

[computer] -- [ooma] -- [modem/router]

4. Do you experience a drop in speed if you have ooma AND your computer connected directly to your modem/router?

5. Do you know if your modem/router is running PPPoE (this might be a "yes" if you're using DSL)?
yunski wrote:I gave the support team a call and he wasn't any help. He just said to play with the QoS setting and see what happens. By the way does having an integrated modem/router have anything to do with the degradation of downstream speed since I can't set up the ooma Hub between the modem and the router. If that is the case, is there anything I can do? Thanks in advance.

Fernando