Configurable DHCP Name for Ooma Telo on a SOHO Network

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
JamesAndersonJr
Configurable DHCP Name for Ooma Telo on a SOHO Network

Post by JamesAndersonJr » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:11 pm

Hi, Ooma Devs!

I have a important feature request for you. Currently there is no way to change the DHCP name of the Ooma Telo device when it is connected to my home router. That generally means it shows up as "unknown" in the the DHCP list in my home router. I would like to be able to change the DHCP name of my Ooma Telo, to something more relevant, at will, so I can easily identify it in my routers DHCP MAC/IP address assignment list.

Thanks in Advance for your time and consideration!

My Current Home Router: TP-Link Archer C9 v.1

Regards,

- James Anderson Jr.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Re: Configurable DHCP Name for Ooma Telo on a SOHO Network

Post by Tom » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:31 pm

that's a router, not a telo issue

holmes4

Post by holmes4 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:26 pm

No, it isn't a router issue. Many network devices supply some form of identification string, For example, my wireless printer sends "EPSON80E291", my Linksys Range Extender sends (naturally), "LinksysRangeExt". Not all the devices on my network identify themselves like this, but more than half do.
Steve

JamesAndersonJr

Post by JamesAndersonJr » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:39 pm

@holmes4

+1. Exactly.
Last edited by JamesAndersonJr on Fri May 04, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

JamesAndersonJr

Post by JamesAndersonJr » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:05 pm

My wireless printer (Epson XP-830) allows setting the DHCP name via its internal configuration page. You can usually reach your network connected devices (including your Ooma Telo, if configured correctly *see screenshot) internal configuration page by typing the IP address of your device (e.g. "192.168.0.150") directly into your browsers address bar. I named my printer, simply, "EPSON-XP-830" because it's the only one of its kind on my home network. Yet, I named my Roku's on the same network "LIVINGROOM-ROKU-01", "BEDROOM-ROKU-02", and so on... because there are multiple Roku's on the same network. If Ooma allowed setting a manual DHCP name, I would name it "OOMA-TELO-01", or "OOMA-TELO-001", or simply, "OOMA-TELO" (if only one is, allowed, or present, on the network).

Screenshots

Ooma Telo's configuration page is only viewable [if going through a router] once "Allow access to this webpage over the INTERNET port" is checked, in the "Advanced" tab. You may have to initially connect the Telo directly between the PC and your internet modem, until the aforementioned option is checked. See image, below.

Last edited by JamesAndersonJr on Fri May 04, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:30 am

Some routers will do lookup on the MAC address and display the vendor, as in attached, and allow you to edit the name.
Attachments
asus.PNG
asus.PNG (43.61KiB)Viewed 4745 times

JamesAndersonJr

Post by JamesAndersonJr » Fri May 04, 2018 1:28 pm

Excuse me, I don't mean to be mean, rude, or ugly, Tom but you use a router by a brand (ASUS) that doesn't even specialize specifically in networking hardware, and you're already throwing out statistics?! "Most routers"? Do you have facts to back up your statement? I've graduated from college with CET, Web Development, and Networking degrees, but I still don't assume that makes me smarter than the average "WWW" PhD holder. Yet, I don't go throwing around statistics I just assumed either.

Now, to reply to your post: With ASUS routers, and some select others, you may be given the option to change the displayed name, of a device, in the configuration of your router (the chance of this option being available increases if using third-party aftermarket firmware, such as DD-WRT with more settings), but that is just an internal (known to the router only, not other devices) mask. It does not actually change the real DHCP name broadcasted to the network, by the device, itself. So in the case of this thread, the Ooma device would have to broadcast its own DHCP name, possibly (and ideally) set by the user in the Ooma device's 'Web Configuration' page (reachable by entering the IP address of your Ooma device, into your web browser's URL address bar), or would have to be set hard-coded by the Ooma device's firmware. Either way, it should be more legible than it currently is.

I appologize in advance if this sounds overly harsh, as I'm not in the business of demoralizing people. :|