Robo Callers using Ooma

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
tbeltz
Robo Callers using Ooma

Post by tbeltz » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:48 pm

I would hope Ooma would have some sort of method to stop the use of Robo Calling through their services if reported. I have received a number of these coming from the 941-406 service are most recent from 7598 and 1240. Can there be someplace these can be reported to and Ooma go after them and deny service??

TonyW

Re: Robo Callers using Ooma

Post by TonyW » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:12 am

Various degrees of call blocking are an Ooma Premier feature:

https://my.ooma.com/preferences/call_blocking

http://support.ooma.com/home/ooma-premier/ (see 'Privacy' section)

tbeltz

Post by tbeltz » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:33 pm

I have the premier and the call blocking. Interesting though that when you try and call the number being identified back which appears to be a Ooma number then I get a recording that the number is not a working number?? Realize it is a wide issue, just got tired of it and wanted to vent some.

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:20 pm

The numbers are being 'spoofed' & the calls often originate overseas, beyond the jurisdiction of US law. I've noticed that when 'googling' the number, it will often be from a familiar area/national business, or a number that appears in many search hits. The scammers leave no angle untried when fishing for victims.

sjc

Post by sjc » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:18 pm

I get over a dozen robo/spam calls everyday. I can tell 99% of these calls because they show a caller id of a valid US city followed by a valid US state (such as Tampa FL or Lincoln NE). No valid phone calls have a caller id with this format. As others have stated these numbers cannot be called back and when I do answer them (very infrequently) they hang-up or start a recorded script. How can I send all these to my voicemail automatically? Why if I can tell these are spoofed incoming calls ooma cannot?

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:35 pm

The only sure-fire way would be to set call blocking to 'Block all numbers not in my contacts and...Send to voicemail' & keep adding 'good' callers to your contacts. I would expect a legitimate caller to leave a message, particularly if it's important.

As to "Why if I can tell these are spoofed incoming calls ooma cannot?"... they just route calls based on the same info you see. Your experience tells you what calls are legit. Reporting spam calls to NMR/adding them to your personal block list are the current means of imparting this 'experience'.