Identification of robo calls.

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
EdKeating
Identification of robo calls.

Post by EdKeating » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:47 pm

If you were to add an additional icon to the call log screen or call block screen for the OOMA premier users, then users could identify calls that have illegally used a caller ID that they do not have the right to use in order to sell or defraud the called person. You could then make available the ANI of the caller to either the end-user or submitted to authorities to prosecute to the full extent of the law. I would like to be able to block the original ANI of the offender no matter what caller ID they choose. (By checking this block when blocking the call, you would be blocking the original offender, not the person who's caller ID was misused.)
I've had callers spoof my local village phone number, my own phone number and the local Bed Bath and Beyond in addition to many unused or abandoned phone numbers.

Spoofing the ANI already would incur the $10,000 fine per call (as this is fraudulent and masks the true billing identity of the caller) and you could help trace those calls using invalid ANI by either denying the call attempt or identify the SS7 point code originating the call and submitting this to the appropriate federal agency to locate and prosecute the offenders.
All of the information that is needed, you already have with your interface to the SS7 network and call logs. This would just eliminate the necessity of calling OOMA support for every idiot who calls with a spoofed number to identify the true caller so that this can be forwarded to the do-not-call violation website and other government agencies.
I would have expected something like this already available within OOMA premier, but have not seen this yet.
I would also like to have this feature available for cellular providers to use as well. Once this is universally adopted, then spoofed calls will disappear.

JimLewis

Re: Identification of robo calls.

Post by JimLewis » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:26 am

This would be a great feature. I would like it too. This sort of thing was done for email. It is long over due to do it for phone numbers also.

EdKeating

Post by EdKeating » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:08 pm

Just received 18 calls from the same "disconnected number" 313-748-8777 today alone.
Would really like to know where this call originated with the original ANI of the calling party.
If the ANI is also spoofed, this is a FRAUDULENT CALL. Can we treat it as such?
But, since we only view the Caller ID presentation field, we can't make that distinction.

I would like to propose that the OOMA Call log identify the ANI of calls using a unassigned or unowned number so that it can be properly forwarded to the local authorities for prosecution. If the ANI is spoofed, perhaps also the SS7 pointcode of the originator so the the sponsor can be made liable for this activity. Only then will robocalls be outlawed.

mnemotronic

Post by mnemotronic » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:55 pm

The spammers don't care about the DNC registry. They don't care about accurate ANI info. Every time they call you they generate a different number to spoof; I've had them call me using my number. It's just a random number, probably with the same area and central office codes so it looks local. The bad actors use VOIP, probably via an anonymizing proxy such as TOR which makes them virtually untraceable.

Any "list" of "known numbers" used by spammers is, by definition, incorrect and obsolete.