Ooma support for STIR / SHAKEN

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
russs
Re: Ooma support for STIR / SHAKEN

Post by russs » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:30 pm

The FCC has mandated that all telecom companies support stir/shaken protocols by June 30, 2021. And that date has now passed. At the end of September, it will be become illegal for telecom campanies without the protocols to operate.

This means that -- at least internally, OOMA knows which calls have spoofed ids and which do not. What remains to be seen is when/if OOMA will allow us to filter calls based on the information that they have.

Robek

Post by Robek » Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:19 pm

Maybe not all telecom companies. The FCC does not require small providers to implement STIR/SHAKEN protocols until June 30, 2022. ("small provider" means 100,000 subscribers or less). How big is Ooma?

Blikoor

Post by Blikoor » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:26 pm

So hello! (first time here).

Got here specifically by searching on Ooma's support for STIR/SHAKEN

Didn't get much (at least nothing official that I could find). Then I looked a bit more and found something in Ooms's K10 filing with the SEC.
If we cannot comply with the FCC’s rules imposing call signaling requirements on VoIP providers like us, we may be subject to fines, cease and desist orders, or other penalties.
The FCC’s rules regarding the system of compensation for various types of traffic require, among other things, interconnected VoIP providers like us, who originate interstate or intrastate traffic destined for the
PSTN, to transmit the telephone number associated with the calling party to the next provider in the call path. Intermediate providers must pass unaltered calling party number or charge number signaling information
they receive from other providers to subsequent providers in the call path. In addition, the Pallone-Thune Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence Act (TRACED Act), which was signed into
law on December 31, 2019, required the FCC to implement regulations for interconnected VoIP providers to implement the “STIR/SHAKEN” framework to authenticate caller-ID information by June 30, 2021 to combat
illegal robocalling. To the extent that we pass traffic that does not have appropriate calling party number or charge number information, we could be subject to fines, cease and desist orders, or other penalties.
Similarly, to the extent that we cannot authenticate our customers, their traffic may be more likely to be blocked or adversely labeled. Additionally, as a VoIP provider we rely on the FCC to design rules that do not
disadvantage our service relative to those of incumbent local exchange carriers and competitive local exchange carriers. Should the FCC decide to do so, it could result in an inferior user experience for Ooma’s
service, which may negatively impact our business.
I can't tell if this implies that they have implemented the protocols (which I believe they are legally obligated to do based on the number of customers they support?

I'm curious if anyone here can comment as a user and if anyone knows what I can do to limit the number of spam calls we're getting. My vehicles are really over-insured by now! :D and I really don't want to contribute to any more orphans's and widowers charities, or help Microsoft debug my computer, or pay my IRS fines.

Robek

Post by Robek » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:57 am

Companies wouldn't normally use an SEC Form 10-K for user announcements. That's not what it's for:
Item 1A “Risk Factors” ... In practice, this section focuses on the risks themselves, not how the company addresses those risks. Some risks may be true for the entire economy, some may apply only to the company’s industry sector or geographic region, and some may be unique to the company.
Ooma only reported the FCC requirements, and the potential consequences for not meeting them. They did not report what they had done about it, or what they had planned to do.
Blikoor wrote:I'm curious ... if anyone knows what I can do to limit the number of spam calls ...
One sure way to limit spam calls is to enable Contacts only calling; only white-listed numbers would get through. If that's too restrictive, then other call-blocking strategies could still help.

JoeH

Post by JoeH » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:31 am

@Robek - As of 2019 Ooma had over 1,000,000 customers, so they definitely should not qualify for that extension.

https://www.globenewswire.com/en/news-r ... 0-000.html

However, if you check the FCC Robocall Mitigation Database, Ooma basically typed N/A in nearly every field. Companies like Verizon who have implemented Shaken/Stir actually filled out the fields properly. I suspect the FCC is going to have to kick Ooma in the backside.

https://fccprod.servicenowservices.com/ ... d_listings

Robek

Post by Robek » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:28 pm

Ooma relies on third-party carriers to access the PSTN. So, which FCC rules apply to Ooma, and which apply to the third-party carriers?

Their carriers use analog (non-IP) networks, but STIR/SHAKEN only works within IP networks. For non-IP networks, the FCC requires providers instead to "actively work to develop a Caller ID authentication solution", and to "certify in the Robocall Mitigation Database that they ... have instituted a robocall mitigation program to ensure that they are not originating illegal robocalls".

Ooma can already authenticate the Caller IDs from its own customers, and monitor their usage patterns to mitigate outgoing robocalls. If that's not sufficient, then what else should they do?
Last edited by Robek on Thu May 04, 2023 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

exjohndoe

Post by exjohndoe » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:07 am

Seems like Ooma is going to support STIR/SHAKEN by September 28. That's very good news.

https://www.ooma.com/home-phone/reduce- ... standards/

Robek

Post by Robek » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:27 am

Any news that Ooma can share about its support for the STIR/SHAKEN standards is welcome news. However:
It's important to note that bad robocallers can use small network providers and many of them have been granted extensions on meeting the STIR/SHAKEN deadlines.
The new standards "are expected to greatly reduce the number of annoying robocalls", but that still might take a little longer, until all of the other network providers can meet their deadlines, too.

bbeaudoin

Post by bbeaudoin » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:37 pm

I get at least one call a day with a local number that is spam. Stir/shaken is not working.