Ooma support for STIR / SHAKEN

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
boberonicus
Ooma support for STIR / SHAKEN

Post by boberonicus » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:45 am

There is increasing interest across the telecom industry (and 35 states Attorney Generals) to implement STIR/SHAKEN. This frameworks promises to prevent the completion of illegally spoofed calls. I would like to know if Ooma has any plans to participate or support this framework. More info here:

https://transnexus.com/whitepapers/stir ... -overview/

I have been a happy user and promoter of Ooma Premier for over 10 years. Support for technology could reduce Robocalls keep Ooma customers happy.

Jim437

Re: Ooma support for STIR / SHAKEN

Post by Jim437 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:19 pm

I second this.

Ooma has been a leader in protecting its customers from robocalls; implementing services early on that the leading phone providers dragged their feet on for years. This was one of my reasons for joining Ooma and recommending the service to many others.

Please continue to be a leader on this issue and implement STIR / SHAKEN. AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Comcast, Bandwidth.com, Cox, and Google have all committed to protecting their subscribers.

Please don't fall behind..

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:12 pm

+1
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

psklenar

Post by psklenar » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:41 am

+1
Please, implement this!!!
pat----

Morac

Post by Morac » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:15 pm

I'm looking for Ooma to implement this as well.

Virtually all the major carriers have agreed to implement (under threat of FCC regulation, https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments ... 6187A1.pdf). If Ooma does not implement this, then they risk having all their customers calls labeled as unverified which means they could be blocked by other carriers.

See also https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... -be-fixed/

rob@robstitt.com

Post by rob@robstitt.com » Thu May 09, 2019 11:06 am

Absolutely I support SHAKEN/STIR support. This is critical.

I get an UNBELIEVABLE number of robocall BS calls to my Ooma number.

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Wed May 15, 2019 2:13 pm

A step in the right direction... maybe.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-poised ... 1557938503

"It remains uncertain whether the proposals will stem the flood of robocalls, and how much, if anything, consumers will pay for call-blocking services. Mr. Pai said the proposals “would likely greatly increase adoption” of call-blocking technology.

He encouraged phone companies to provide the service free, noting that fewer robocalls would also mean fewer complaints from customers and less spam traffic on their networks. But he stopped short of proposing to mandate that the services be free. He also said the proposals are designed to ensure emergency calls wouldn’t be blocked."

EdKeating

Post by EdKeating » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:45 pm

How many premier customers need to request this before it is implemented?
I'm getting tired of receiving spoofed calls which may or may not have a Spoofed ANI as well as caller ID presentation, but I've been unable to receive info about these spoofed calls from OOMA support as to the actual ANI used to originate spoofed calls including over a dozen from the same spoofed disconnected number. (The standard response is to 'view your call log', and I've attempted to inform them that this is the caller ID presentation field and not the ANI used to bill the call -- they are different fields..)
I suppose I could fire up one of several Asterisk servers I have access to and do it myself ( yes, I have worked in wireless telephony for my past employment), but then I'd be porting my phone out of the current setup. Does OOMA support monitor these forums?

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:02 pm

This is a user to user forum. Ooma support is not here. Occasionally an Ooma moderator will respond.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Bob Schreiber

Post by Bob Schreiber » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:13 am

I absolutely recommend that you install STIR/SHAKEN support. Doing this will help cut down on spam callers and make your service much more desirable. The Dec 2019 issue of IEEE Spectrum magazine published a paper by Jim McEachern and Eric Burger that goes fairly deeply into STIR/SHAKEN and what it can and cannot do for us.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/stand ... -robocalls