Ooma support for STIR / SHAKEN

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
andyross
Re: Ooma support for STIR / SHAKEN

Post by andyross » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:54 am

Ooma will be forced to support it soon. Congress passed a law and Trump will almost certainly sign it. It gives the FCC more authority to go after robocalls.
https://techcrunch.com/2019/12/19/roboc ... al-office/

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:18 am

I don't know. The current administration has a history of removing regulation, rather than imposing new stuff. Per the article I posted here:

https://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... c1#p145211

"It remains uncertain whether the proposals will stem the flood of robocalls, and how much, if anything, consumers will pay for call-blocking services. FCC chairman Ajit Pai said the proposals “would likely greatly increase adoption” of call-blocking technology.

He encouraged phone companies to provide the service free, noting that fewer robocalls would also mean fewer complaints from customers and less spam traffic on their networks. But he stopped short of proposing to mandate that the services be free. He also said the proposals are designed to ensure emergency calls wouldn’t be blocked."

Doesn't sound like they are hell-bent on mandating the tech be applied. & my take was it will take some time for the tech to mature & the IEEE piece implies the same. Still, it sounds nice.

qazwart

Post by qazwart » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:20 pm

This is a user to user forum. Ooma support is not here. Occasionally an Ooma moderator will respond.
This is the Suggestions section of the forum. I hope someone from Ooma is monitoring this section.

Mark_S

Post by Mark_S » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:00 am

I get anywhere between 1 and 4 calls per day that should blocked by the Do Not Call list on my Ooma home phone number. Usually, I get a recorded message that is 10 or so seconds of silence before the caller disconnects. This so annoying that I am considering dropping my Ooma account and use only our cell phones.

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:23 am

Out of curiosity, are you reporting any of the junk calls (i.e create NMR acc't, report #s; add #'s to your personal block list; add CID strings to your personal block list)? Cutting down on phone SPAM requires a certain amount of user interaction to be effective.

oomaproblems

Post by oomaproblems » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:11 pm

Ooma is not on FCC's radar - The company is not listed here.
https://www.fcc.gov/call-authentication

andyross

Post by andyross » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:13 am

The FCC is requiring STIR/SHAKEN support by June 30, 2021.
https://www.engadget.com/2020-03-31-fcc ... -2021.html

boberonicus

Post by boberonicus » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:36 am

I started this thread about 3 years ago. Since Ooma has made no progress towards STIR / SHAKEN compliance since then, I've sadly cancelled my 10-year Ooma service. I am bummed, as Ooma has saved me so much money over the years and I've found the service to be highly reliable.

java007md

Post by java007md » Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:37 am

Not sure if boberonicus is still visiting the forums, but I am curious about the service they moved to after Ooma.

Also a long time customer here. The lack of response to the STIR / SHAKEN protections for customers is disappointing, even if the FCC is not requiring Ooma to comply.

holmes4

Post by holmes4 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:06 am

Agreed - another long-time customer here. Even with Premier and Nomorobo enabled, I get 5-6 spoofed calls a day, each from a different number.

I am going to start looking for another VoIP service that is supporting STIR/SHAKEN.
Steve