Blocking robocallers

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
maury779
Blocking robocallers

Post by maury779 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:16 am

Robocallers generate more numbers than we can list their numbers in the blocked list. May I suggest, what some other services are doing, to offer a feature that when a call is received the system generates a number (ie from 0 to 9) that the caller must enter to allow the call to go through. Otherwise it goes to the answer machine.

oomamaniacal

Re: Blocking robocallers

Post by oomamaniacal » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:30 pm

+1
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

domm

Post by domm » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:43 am

+1

nrc

Post by nrc » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:58 pm

+1 Robocalls are driving me nuts.

Ideally this would only be required for numbers not in contacts.

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:18 pm

I just discovered a telemarketing blocker that requires callers to enter a digit on their touch-tone phone in order to ring your phone. It is called the Screen Machine by Spectrum Research. I believe it is discontinued, but it is still available on ebay for around $20. I just purchased one for myself. You don't need to be a Premier subscriber for it to work. You don't even need caller ID. To see how it works, check out this video on Youtube, starting at four minutes and fifty seconds: https://youtu.be/1cbB5mNsxHM

The only downside is that it would block robocalls for things like prescription refills and callers who are still using a rotary phone. I would check with your pharmacy to find out if you could get an email or a text instead of a reminder call.

IMO the Screen Machine is way better than Nomorobo, and Ooma should offer the functionality for Premier subscribers. Ultimately callers in your Ooma contact list could then skip the requirement of entering the touch-tone digit and callers who don't enter a digit could be sent to voicemail.

Callcentric offers Telemarketer Block with their service, but their plans are about twice as much as Ooma Premier.
Premier Subscriber
Google Voice Extensions

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:15 am

Seems to me (JMO) that the 'Block all numbers not in my contacts and... send to VM' option would be better. Phone never rings unless the caller is pre-approved, but ensures a legit caller can leave a msg if blocked. Still, I can appreciate this built-in option having appeal to some.

Victeknical

Post by Victeknical » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:46 am

I agree that something better than the current options is needed. For instance it would be helpful if more than one number could be entered into the block list at a time. I often enter up to ten numbers at a sitting and it's tedious having to do that one number at a time.

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:33 pm

So I got my Screen Machine today, but I am very disappointed because it does not pass along the Caller ID information when the caller presses the digit to get through. Therefore, I cannot recommend this device to anyone who has caller ID service.

I am still hoping that Ooma would consider the option to require unknown callers to press a digit on their touch-tone phone or announce their name to complete the call.
Premier Subscriber
Google Voice Extensions

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:11 pm

It's probably answering on the first ring. Caller ID is sent between the first and second ring.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:49 pm

Hi Murphy,

I had the Screen Machine set to pick up between the first and second ring instead of an immediate pick up. The caller ID info showed up briefly on the telephone, but as soon as the caller presses the correct digit and the phone rings, the caller ID disappears and it just says, "Incoming Call."
Premier Subscriber
Google Voice Extensions