Telo powered by Power Over Ethernet (PoE)

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
KCChrisD
Telo powered by Power Over Ethernet (PoE)

Post by KCChrisD » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:34 pm

I would like to have my Telo in a centralized, visible place in the house without all the wires running to it. If the Telo could be powered via PoE then it could be connected via a single Ethernet cable and reduce the clutter of multiple cables running to the box. Using the Ethernet cable removes the need for the power brick to be plugged in near the Telo, so cleans up the outlet space as well. Since my Telo is my interface for 911 emergencies, it is also on UPS battery backup. PoE on the Telo would allow the UPS to be connected to the PoE switch in a remote location and still keep power to the Telo during an outage. Having to keep a bulky UPS connected to the Telo power cord keeps me from having the Telo out where it is visible.

Aside from the aesthetics, I believe this feature could help drive accessory business as well. The HD3, Linx and DP1-T accessories could be used to connect wirelessly and not require a phone line connection to the Telo. And if the upcoming Telo Battery Backup was modified to function as a PoE injector, it could be hidden away and give your customers a behind the scenes way to power the Telo remotely with backup power during outages.

MLXXXp

Re: Telo powered by Power Over Ethernet (PoE)

Post by MLXXXp » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:13 am

Do a search for: POE 5V splitter

KCChrisD

Post by KCChrisD » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:44 am

MLXXXp wrote:Do a search for: POE 5V splitter
I looked into that. Aside from having the extra clutter behind the Telo, I had a tough time finding a passive splitter with the correct plug to fit the Telo. It would be much cleaner if it were integrated into the Telo itself. Maybe combine this feature with the request for Gigabit Ethernet on the next Telo revision??

MLXXXp

Post by MLXXXp » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:58 pm

I had a tough time finding a passive splitter with the correct plug to fit the Telo
I didn't have much trouble.

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Splitter ... B00CDT7KPO

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:42 pm

"Maybe combine this feature with the request for Gigabit Ethernet"??? All these POE solutions apply to "Fast Ethernet" (100Mbps), where the 2 spare twisted pairs are used to conduct power. "Gigabit Ethernet" requires all 4 pairs.

MLXXXp

Post by MLXXXp » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:17 am

All these POE solutions apply to "Fast Ethernet" (100Mbps)
Not true. The splitter I linked to above handles 1000Mbps Ethernet.

PoE capability for a 1000Mbps port built into a newer model Telo would also be possible.

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:32 am

Not really. 1st bullet item states "Network devices at Fast Ethernet speeds all within a compact device. "

"2 10/100/1000M Ethernet ports" does not imply Gigabit speeds... just a generic description for the 8-pin/conductor, RJ-45 interface. The device hijacks 2 conductor pairs to deliver power.

http://www.veracityglobal.com/resources ... art-2.aspx

OTOH, THIS one claims full gigabit speeds:

https://www.amazon.com/ANVISION-Splitte ... 928K669HAM

I need to do some reading.

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:06 am

Time marches on... 'phantom power' allows for data/voltage to share the 4 conductor pairs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_power

Still, this creates a potential mine field for the non-technical home user. I envision someone repeatedly plugging a 'HOT' network cable into a typical, non-POE device & smoking some component in the chain. While convenient, I'm not convinced integrating this into consumer devices is wise (at this time... IMO).

MLXXXp

Post by MLXXXp » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:59 am

I'm not convinced integrating this into consumer devices is wise
I agree with this in regards to a future Telo, but for a different reason. Being a consumer device, how many people would actually use the feature? Maybe 1 in 100? (Remember, the equipment on the other end, either the port itself or an added injector, have to make the power available, which isn't common for consumer equipment.)

This means that a large majority of people are paying the extra cost needed to build PoE into a Telo, without using it, for the benefit of the very few people who do.

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:35 am

Further, I'm not convinced of the necessity of a GigE interface in the 1st place. Based on the current feature set for 'Internet Security', even a 'behind the router' topography. w/ Telo providing a proxy might(?) have been a more efficient design choice? No need for faster interface. Routers are designed to do the security/QOS. Just my thoughts.