Device replacement

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Dam1an
Device replacement

Post by Dam1an » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:11 pm

My old Telo gave up after 8+ years of service. I bought a new one to replace it. I fully expected to simply log into my account and add the new phone and activate it in the process. Or perhaps activate it and during the step where you select a phone number, to have the option to use your existing account instead. But neither were an option. Instead I spent 30+ minutes in chat and on the phone with support (going through the painful call aggregation process) to get the account transfer done. This should have been a 5 minute self service option on the account page. As someone who works in the web platform field for a living, it's unfathomable, especially given all the things you CAN do from your account page. I can't believe in 2019 the process to simply replace a device required this much of my time, and the time of your support technicians, who would be better served helping people with PROBLEMS instead of doing routine account management.

The Beaches

Re: Device replacement

Post by The Beaches » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:56 pm

The company's intent is to ensure they maximize the upsell opportunity and want you to call in. They also will suggest you pass the old unit on to someone so they can use the service. I haven't called once where they didn't try to sell me on something.

Once they figure out how to get the new HD3 handsets to work with Ooma (I have two but can't use them without audio breakup), I might consider listening to their upsell. Until then, they need to work on the audio breakup and call dropping issues that has been plaguing paying customers for the past six months.

Dam1an

Re: Device replacement

Post by Dam1an » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:06 pm

They didn’t try to sell me anything. And my old device was completely dead, so I certainly wasn’t passing it on to anyone else, lol. I just know that this is an operation that can and should be able to be done as a self service. There’s no justifiable reason not to.